Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nick_M Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Red white and black wires coming into switch box.
    I am renovating a bathroom and need to add an exhaust fan with a separate swich from the light. There are three wires coming into the switch box, red, black, and white. The red goes to one side of the switch. The black goes to a wire nut for an exiting light and another black comes from that wirenut and goes to the other side of the switch. The white goes to the white from the existing light. I have added 12/2 romex, two pieces from the new fixture. The neutrals will go together in the switch box. Does the power come from the red of the black?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 09:52 AM

Is the power source for these switches at the outlet in the ceiling? Or does power come to the switches and then to the fixture?

This is critical to know since switches do not use a Neutral Connection, unless they have a pilot light that requires a Neutral.

Any chance you can attach pictures of what you are trying to do?

Also, if the circuit is a 15 amp circuit, then you would use a 14/2 cable, not a 12/2 cable (20 amp).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing light switch with dimmer red black blue white wires [ 0 Answers ]

I'm replacing a light switch That Controls on light socket in the room for a lamp with a dimmer switch my old switch had 2 black wires and a white but the new dimmer has a red black blue green the new lights have only black and white wires ? How do I make this light work with this switch ?

Connecting red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wir [ 2 Answers ]

How to connect red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wires

Ceiling electrical box only has red and black wires (no white or ground) [ 12 Answers ]

The ceiling electrical box in my kids bedroom only has a single red and single black wire, but nothing else (no white wire, no bare copper ground wire, not even a grounding nut). I bought a ceiling light fixture which has the standard black, white and copper wires (hot, neutral, ground), but I've...

3 black wires, one white in light box [ 22 Answers ]

3 black wires are twisted together and connected to the blue and black on the old ceiling fan. The one white is connected to the one white on the fan. Have tried connecting these wires many different ways for a new remote controlled fan but no luck . This is a very old house with old wiring (I have...

Wires red black and white [ 14 Answers ]

I took off the dryer receptical to wire a 250V. 20A electrical receptecal. There are a black white and red. Do I assume the red is green because it's the only wire that doesn't match the directions. Red seems hot though no.

View more questions Search