Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csgossett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 09:56 PM
    Can a mother who is a convicted felon get custody of her kids back?
    I am a convicted felon for bank fraud. I spent 21 months in federal prison. I have been on probation with no problems. I have 7 months left to go on my probation. I want to get custody back from my ex-husband. My fiancé is also a convicted felon (drug charges) 10 years ago. No violence. Do I have a good chance?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 01:52 AM

Was your ex-husband awarded custody because you were going to prison? Did the divorce and child custody order happen after you were charged? If so, it would be difficult not because you are a convicted felon but because you may not be able to allege changed circumstances (which is in many states a prerequisite to a change in custody).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2010, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by csgossett View Post
    Do I have a good chance?
    Hello c:

Sure. You'll have a better chance if you hire a lawyer.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2010, 04:47 AM
    Do I have a good chance?
    A "ggod" chance, I don't believe so. But not because of your record but because a court is unlikely to change the status quo unless you can show a problem with the father's parenting.

On the other hand I think you do stand a good chance of getting frequent visitation, especially if you live in the same area as the kids.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2010, 08:35 AM
    I am a convicted felon for bank fraud. I spent 21 months in federal prison. I have been on probation with no problems. I have 7 months left to go on my probation. I want to get custody back from my ex-husband. My fiance is also a convicted felon (drug charges) 10 years ago. No violence. Do I have a good chance?
    My first assumption is no. While it's unknown if your ex-husband has a criminal record of any kind, yours is not going to swing things in your favor. Couple that with your fiancé, it gets worse.

The biggest issue is that your children have been primarily under your ex's care for nearly two years. You're going to have to prove that they're being neglected and/or abused while under his care in order to have any decent chance of getting custody changed. The courts will not uproot children from their familiar surroundings without just cause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother have custody of my kids and I want it back [ 5 Answers ]

My mother have custody of my kids and I want it back how I get it back?

I have 2 kids my kids mother is deceased, we had no custody papers, can I get my kids [ 5 Answers ]

My ex and I have not been together for over 5 years and I would send money and see my kids when I can they live in California, I live in Texas. 3 weeks ago my ex was killed and now my kids who are 5 and 4 are with their grandmother right now, can I go get my kids. My ex and I had no custody...

My fianc? Is being deported a convicted felon how can I get him back to the usa [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being deport back to jamacia how can I get him back to usa

Can my girlfriend lose custody of her child for living with a convicted felon? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my girlfriend lose custody of her child for living with a convicted felon? Let me start by describing my background. I have convicted of failure to re-deliver leased/hire property. What happened was I was engaged two years ago and was renting furniture and other items from a rent to own store,...

Future custody case for convicted felon dad [ 6 Answers ]

Someone I love very much will be released from prison soon. How, What, and Where are the questions I'm asking as far as finding him a good attorney in the state that his ex wife is now located along with his son. Obviously, its got to be in the jurisdiction that his son is in. Which websites are...

View more questions Search