Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenforest Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 12:26 PM
    Knocking sounds after turn off faucet or flush toilet
    My house is ~8 years old (built in 2002) and recently I noticed a strange problem. In the master bedroom, and only in the master bedroom, if immediately after I turn off the faucet rapidly, or immediately after the water tank for toilet fills up, I can hear several knocking sounds from one of the wall. There are probably 4-5 knocking sounds and they fade away. It seems there is no sound if I turn off the faucet slowly, or reduce the water flow to quite slow for the toilet water tank.

I read online regarding the water hammer, and tried a few times to drain the pipes, i.e. turn off water main, open faucet at lowest point of house, and let the water drain. These trials do not appear solve the problem. At one time, the problem goes away and returns in a hour. At another time, the problem does not go away.

Any one here has some insight on what's going on? I almost have nighmares about some pipes in the wall burst, or big repair bills.

Thanks
    Ken
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2010, 07:50 AM

Is it only on the cold water that bangs or does the hot side do the same thing? Back to you, Tom

Nov 17, 2010, 02:21 PM
    It happens on either cold or hot water. Thanks Ken

Nov 23, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Can anyone give me some answers? Thanks Ken
    lai yip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Pipes knocking loudly after flushing
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 01:04 PM

Turn off water to house. Open all faucets, flush all toilets. Let water drain completely, if possible let sit for a while so all water drains out of air chambers. Close all faucets, turn on water. Turn on water slowly so that you don't blow out cartridges in single handle valves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet will not flush the shut value leaks when I turn it on [ 1 Answers ]

The shut valve beside tank leaks when we turn it on. We tried to tighten it and toilet flushed for one day now tank will not fill up

The lower level toilet flush sounds like a JET taking off [ 1 Answers ]

When flushing the toilet in the lower level of the house, the pipes sound like a jet taxing down a runway, then taking off, real loud

My toilet won't flush unless we turn the water off and on [ 1 Answers ]

About five day ago my toilet started not to flush. We have figured out that if we turn the water off and back on after a minute that it will flush one time. We have to repeat that step every time we flush. We have a fluidmaster 400 series. What is wrong and how can I fix it? Thanks:confused:

View more questions Search