Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alibrennan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
    3 year old staffy cross, with bad skin problems, please please help? Info in details.
    My girlfriend has a three year old staffy cross called Poppy. Poppy has been itching more and more over the last few months. Several vet visits resulted in steroid injections and a recommendation of anti hist-ermines. No skin swob was taken and the treatments do not seem to have worked. Poppy gets really sore under her arms and on her belly with parts becoming scabby and occasional bleeding. It is becoming very worrying and any help and advice would be much appreciated? Poppy is a cross but is defo more staff y than anything else, quarter sharpay and quarter pit bull I believe.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2010, 04:16 PM

Has your dog had a skin scraping for mange mites done?
    alibrennan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Not yet, we have been looking into it and I think your rite. We have her booked in for next week so will let you know how it goes. Hope we get a solution, thanks for your help.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 01:52 PM

Hopefully it is something easy to treat.
    There are 2 types of mange, one is easy to get rid of, one is a little harder.

With Sarcoptic Mange most of the dogs body is affected and treatment is often lengthy and needs to be repeated.
    Demodectic mange generally affects small patches of the dog, usually around the head, but it is easily treated with an injection and is fast acting.

Another thing to look at with where the scabbing is occurring is contact dermatitis or allergies.
    If you use floor cleaners and she regularly lays on her belly on the floor that can do it.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 02:03 PM

With the changing of the seasons my staffies get a bit itchier and their skin allergies seem to be a bit more bothersome to them. I usually give them bennadryl. What type of dog food are you feeding them? A lot of the bully breeds are very sensitive to wheat and grains.

Have you tried any of the allergy shampoo's? Seeing as your dog was treated with anit0hitamines, I would suggest a specific brand from a vet. I like Aller-groom.

In the winter months, it wouldn't hurt to beef up on their omega too. Fish oil, like cod liver oil or salmon oil are great things to add into your dogs diet. A can of sardines helps as well. You can purchase fish oil from your local grocery store one or two capsules a day really help with itchy skin. Just remember to find deep sea fishes, those are the ones that are chalked full of the omega fatty oils.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Staffy paw licking problems [ 17 Answers ]

My 8 + year old staffy constantly licks his paws and nibbles and worries at them day in day out! Drives me and him crazy. He is also itchy all over and now has very dry scaly skin although not broken skin

Capacitor went bad? Any info. Would be great. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a goodman air conditioner. My problem is my capacitor went bad so I changed it out with a new one everything worked great for 2 days then I'm faced with the same problem with a bad capacitor. What keeps blowing my capacitor any ideas here? Thanks for your time Dan

Getting info to other landlords on a bad renter [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a site where anyone can go to, to find out the rating on a renter ? Or a site where you can go and worn about bad renters? I have a renter who I believe is not going to pay the money that she owes. The whole experience with this renter has been a nightmare from the beginning. She I...

Skin Lightening Warnings and Info [ 0 Answers ]

How skin lightening products work There are two chemicals found in skin lightening products, Hydroquinone or Mercury. O Hydroquinone (C6H6O2) is a severely toxic and very powerful chemical used in photo processing, the manufacture of rubber and is an active agent in hair dyes. O Mercury...

View more questions Search