Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soulfly71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 04:22 AM
    My Goldfish has a tumour?
    My goldfish appears to have a tumour growing on its back, this has caused the dorsal fin to split and the tumour has grown around it but doesn't appear to cause any discomfort, however, this morning when I fed them (I have 2 fish in a 3ftx1.5ft tank) I noticed the tumour has been eaten by the other fish and wondered if A. will this cause the healthier fish to catch a tumour? B. I'm worried my fish with the tumour is in pain because it's the tumour is being picked at.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 10, 2010, 10:11 AM

I've researched a few sites and what I can find is that there is no way to remove the tumors, and the fish can live with them on their bodies and no be in any discomfort as long as it doesn't effect it's breathing or eating or bowel movements.

I would say that the other fish is trying to rid your sick fish from it's environment, and I can only assume that anything being picked off it's body would cause discomfort. You could give him a burial at sea or transfer to a separate tank. From what I have read, it seems the fish's life span will be shortened.

Something's I have read said that malnutrition and dirty tanks are a contribution to growths and tumors.
    soulfly71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Thanks for your reply. Ive been watching them all day and the one with the tumour doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at all, apetite is good, they get a quality feed in the form of Tetra Goldfish sticks as well as foliage which they ravage. The other fish without the tumour is picking ONLY the tumour off and not attacking any other body part, they get on really well and don't fight at all. I keep an eye on their water ph and test it weekly as well as regular gravel cleans and the filters get done also. Il keep an eye on it and won't let it suffer in any way but here's hoping it doesn't get worse, many thanks, steve.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 11, 2010, 03:21 PM

I'm not very knowledgeable about fish, but my dad was, and I remember a fish with a tumor in his tank.

Like yours, the other fish picked at the tumor. It was stressful to watch. My dad said that the tumor is dead growth, in other words, the tumor itself doesn't produce pain, the skin and tissue is dead, and it doesn't hurt to have it picked at.

This is just based on what my dad told me and he knew his fish. Sadly he didn't pass that knowledge down to me, or I didn't listen well enough. ;)

If you notice that the fish is in pain I would definitely think about getting another tank and making him a solitary fish.

Good luck.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 11, 2010, 05:46 PM

Good luck Steve! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Abnormal large growth/tumour on the side of a fancy goldfish [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have had my current goldfish for a few years now, They have always been perfectly healthy, except one of them has a large growth on the side of it, it has been growing for about two years now, and it really is huge. It is the normal colour of the fish and doesn't seem to affect my...

Suffering from brain tumour [ 2 Answers ]

21years girl is suffering from brain tumour.please tell me the best doctors or hospitals in india or abroad where success rate is 100percent.

Do I have a brain tumour! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 15 year old girl and for the last 5 years I have been worrying about my head. What it is is that when I tense,shake and turn my head its like I can feel something inside my head moving back and forth. Im really worried about it and can't bare to go and see a doctor. Any advice on what you...

View more questions Search