Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaygaffney Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 05:48 AM
    97 civic ex starter whins but don't start and it won't push start either
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 05:59 AM

I assume its an automatic... because except in very rare cases you should not attempt to push or tow start an automatic transmission vehicle. And the rare cases I know of do not include Hondas. In most cases attempting to tow or push start an automatic will result in damage to the transmission.

Sounds like a defective or sticking starter bendix. You MIGHT be able to free it up if its sticking... but you are better off replacing the starter because its likely to happen again if you don't. And odds are you won't be at home when it does.

Nov 1, 2010, 06:07 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    It's a stick but should'n it still push start if the starter is going out
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 06:32 AM

Yes you should be able to.. with a stickshift. You need the right speed and the right choice of gear.

Too low a gear the tires want to slide... too high a gear and the engine doesn't turn fast enough. Usually second gear is the best choice. Have the ignition on... get a good push, then put it in gear and pop the clutch... it will usually fire right up. Easier with two or more people... but I've done it alone numerous times.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 07:39 AM

1. Replace starter--the overrunning clutch is shot.

2. Perform tests in the link below, to help determine why the engine won't start:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post229012

Nov 2, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    OK the starter is working but the engine is turning over slow and it sounds like it has no compression. Would a blown head gasket cause all this
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2010, 07:13 PM

Yes.

Nov 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
    OK then would it just die while driving it my wife was just shifting from 1 to 2nd gear then heard air then it dieed
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 07:26 AM

It could die just like you described. Has the engine ever overheated?

Nov 3, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Not since we bought it the guy we bought it from said he replaced it but it not really sure it did smoke a little but I have not seen any signs of water in the oil that's why I'm so lost

Nov 3, 2010, 04:32 PM
    But the plug wires 2 to 4 are a little rusty and number 1 is not and I put my hand over each spark plug hole all pushed and sucked but number one so I don't know I can't afford to take it to a shop

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 93 honda civic hatchback won't start if I push it and put it on 3rd gear it will run [ 3 Answers ]

I replace the starter and still the same thing .

1989 honda civic sometimes start sometimes don't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1989 honda civic some times don't start but it happen with in three days at night it cannot statr but in the morning it starts but I did not change anything yet can any body help me please

Changed starter on my 98 grand am now it won't start.cranks over but won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I changed the starter on my 98 grand m with the 2.4 engine .now it won't start. Check all the fuses seems to be in order but won't fire up just cranks over

Starter & Battery Tested Fine. Why won't It Start? 94 civic ex [ 1 Answers ]

My 1994 Honda Civic EX won't start. All I get is a click-click. With a push my car will start and run fine. Took starter in to have it checked and they said it was fine. Took battery in and fine as well. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search