Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Innocent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Fired & accused of theft
    I work in retail and I have an alarm code designated to me only. Someone broke into the store using my passcode and a key.

I received two weeks suspended with pay. Then I had to go in for a meeting which they would not disclose who would be attending or any other details. At that time I was terminated and told that the company did not feel comfortable with me continuing my employment with them. I have no ideal what was stolen, and I have been contacted by police that I will be needed to make a statement.

The passcode was given to me over the phone 2 months ago and it is possible that someone was listening in on other phone. Also where we punch in the code is right in front of a window so it would not be unheard of if someone were to see it.

I know they have no proof against me other then someone used my passcode. I did not break into store I did not steal from them.

Is there any legal actions that I can do to help me through this situation. I do not want bad reputation and I certainly do not want to be wronfully charged.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Hello innocent:

Of course, you don't want all those things. So what? Those things are happening.

There's nothing you can do right now. THEY'RE the ones doing the doing. Wait to see what it is, that they're actually going to do. Once that's determined, then you'll know what to do. If not, ask then.

By the way, DON'T give a statement to the cops. In case you didn't understand, DON'T TALK TO THE COPS!!

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Ok, the evidence is against you at this point, you have been fired, no way to stop that. The police have questioned you, no way to stop that.
    If they had enough evidence at this point you would have been charged, so they merely suspect you.

You do not have a criminal record at all, even a charge at this time, merely a bad work history. ( so you don't put them down on your resume)

Unless you are arrested you will not havve any record at all on the criminal side.

Since it was your code there are a 100 maybes, but the evidence points to you, be glad it was only a theft not a murder. As a person punching a code, you have a responsibility to hide your hand when punching in, or if you feel you needed a new code as for one.

At this point you could hire an attorney ( and if you are ever questioned always have one esp if you are innocent)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I'll add some things here. At this point you have not been directly accused of theft. The company was very specific in using the terminology that they did not "feel comfortable" continuing your employment. In my opinion they have enough grounds to terminate your employment. So you can forget about getting your job back or compensated for its loss.

So you need to look to the future. You don't say how long you worked for the company. If it was only months, then just don't include them on your resume. If it was a longer period, then find out what they will tell other employers. Generally, companies now will only verify employment for the period. No resons for termination will be given. So you can go on to a new job.
    sjethro00 Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Jan 3, 2007, 08:54 PM
    It sounds like a decent security system, so I'm assuming they also have video cameras. Video would obviously show that you were not the man who broke in, this is possibly why no charges have been brought against you. What they could be concerned about is the possibility you knew the person that did, and you provided the information to him willingly, this is why they want you to give a statement. So, here's hoping a video system was inplace.

Like ScottGem said, they did have good cause to as it was your code used; Unless they catch this guy, and the guy confesses how he obtained the code (overheard, saw, etc), and clears you of any involvement, you most likely won't be welcomed back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Falsly accused [ 2 Answers ]

On behalf of my son What can happen if you're going to Crown Court for causing bodily harm to someone and you believe the police are trying to set you up and the accusor is mentally unstable. :( :(. Help!

Fired Without Just Cause [ 10 Answers ]

I began my new job 4 weeks ago as a test center administrator. I administer exams ranging from education, to doctors exams. During my time there, my supervisor was acting very funny. She didn't take the flyer down for the job position that was there when I first applied. Her two daughters...

Minister is accused of being a snob... is true for all [ 10 Answers ]

Bible snobs need to take note: confused: Bible snobs need to take note: I am watching the news here in Texas and I see a Minister on trial for raping a member of his congregation. This man has preached against drug abuse and turned out to be a substance abuser and a rapist. He said he had sex...

Being false accused [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any law on the books that would help us on being falsely accused of something when are findings have proved otherwise? Is there any criminal/civil lawsuit that we could pursue on the people accusing?

Fired [ 8 Answers ]

I was fired by mail after being placed on suspension ( a disciplinary act that is not sanctioned by union contract) and after filing a harrassment complaint during a FMLA leave. I have no income now, therefore no money to pay a lawyer. Got any suggestions on any of the above.

View more questions Search