Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustang0529 Posts: 252, Reputation: -1

Oct 23, 2010, 10:31 PM
    Need help about pregnancy and no health card
    Hi everyone my name is Elisa I live in Ontario... I just found out I'm pregnant last week from my lmp I should be about 6 weeks Monday... So I have a problem I filed for my birth cirtificate about 3 to 4 weeks ago and it still hasn't come in I don't have a health card because I'm waiting for my birth cirtificate lost my wallet a few months ago and I only have ontario license bank card and credit card... what should I do... I don't have the money to go c the doctor and do ultra sounds... is there another way I can go to the doctor... have had 2 miscarriages in the past and very nervous need help...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 23, 2010, 11:03 PM

If you are a canadian citizen you still are registered with health canada. When you called them, did they tell you you had to produce your birth certificate to get another OHIP card ? What do you mean ontario license bank card ? If you have a social insurance number on any document, that is .

If you lost your wallet, how come you still have your other cards ?

No, you can't to the doctor without your OHIP card. You would have to pay cash, or credit card.

Tick

Oct 24, 2010, 12:06 AM
    the only id I have on me is licence bank card and credit card don't have my sin card but I have the number... and I can't afford visits to the doctors...

Oct 24, 2010, 12:07 AM
    I went to get my health card over a month ago and they told me I needed my birth cirtificate
    Expert

Oct 24, 2010, 07:01 AM

Where did you apply for your birth certificate ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2010, 07:06 AM

I'm just playing devil's advocate here and hopefully you will think...

If you can't afford the visits to the doctor, how will you afford a baby?

Oct 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
    I can afford a baby OK... thanks for that input I just can't afford it now checks have been low I thought there was another way around it I don't want to have to pay noing that it is free when I have my health card
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2010, 12:32 PM

You and your baby needs to see the doctor now, if you can not get or use the card, you do without something else and go see a doctor, work out a payment plan or something.
    Expert

Oct 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
    [QUOTE=mustang0529;2579139]I can afford a baby OK... thanks for that input I just can't afford it now checks have been low I thought there was another way around it I don't want to have to pay noing that it is free when I have my health card[/QUOTE

I know that once you get your OHIP card, it will be easy sailing for you throughout your pregnancy and delivery, mustang, but the point remains, you will need some kind of care before the baby comes. ( you will have to keep on expediting that item diligently). You have probably sat on the problem too long thinking that everything will go through the normal channels promptly, not so nowadays. Go to the office where you applied and start greasing that squeaky wheel until you get your birth certificate. They want to see your because because that proves you were born in Canada (were you, and are you a citizen?) and access your benefits. That information is contained on your social security card, otherwise the government wouldn't know how to click in our old age security payments on time.

If you have a regular doctor, that doctor, I hope, will be kind enough to set up a payment plan for you. And let me correct a popular misconception in Canada, our OHIP benefits are not free, they are paid for by everyone holding down a job in Canada, and the employers they work for.

Tick
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2010, 01:38 PM
    Hard to keep track of how many miscarriages and pregnancies the OP has had if you look at her thread history.
    Also what happened to the family doctor you saw here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/773912-post110.html
    Expert

Oct 24, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Hard to keep track of how many miscarriages and pregnancies the OP has had if you look at her thread history.
    Also what happened to the family doctor you saw here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/773912-post110.html

Oh my, the plot thickens... oops.

Tick
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang0529 View Post
    Hi everyone my name is Elisa i live in Ontario ...i just found out im pregnant last week from my lmp i should be about 6 weeks monday ....So i have a problem i filed for my birth cirtificate about 3 to 4 weeks ago and it still hasnt come in i dont have a health card because im waiting for my birth cirtificate lost my wallet a few months ago and i only have ontario lisence bank card and credit card .... what should i do... i dont have the money to go c the doctor and do ultra sounds ... is there another way i can go to the doctor .... have had 2 miscarriages in the past and very nervous need help...
    Did they say when you might expect your birth certificate? Maybe give them a call and see if they can tell you how much longer it will likely be.

Oct 25, 2010, 09:56 AM
    I do have a family doctor but it's a little far... and I am a canadian citizen was born here... my birth certificate will be coming in the mail in the next 2 weeks and then I get my health card and c the doctor... I found out from a family friend if I go c the doctor I will have to pay the 60 but I won't get rehimburst because I don't have it on hand with me... that only applies when you have forgotten your health card... im not too worried I no I've had previuse miscarriages but I feel fine no bleeding no cramping just feeling pregnant... but I am thinking of going next week when I get paid to the doctors even though I have to pay
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2010, 09:59 AM
    Hopefully by next week you'll have your birth certificate and provincial Medicare card, that's your priority, as mentioned earlier a lot stems from that.

P.S. please ease up on the text chat.

Oct 25, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Yes I am a canadian citizen... was born in canada... and I have had previous miscarriages... I won't get my birth certificate for another 2 weeks... I was told by a family member that if I pay the 60 to c the doctor I won't get rehimburst because I don't have my health card it only works when you have forgotten your health card... I have been feeling fine no cramping or bleeding I'm either going to wait for my birth certificate and then get my health card the same day... but if I can't wait I will go c the doctor next week

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy / woman health [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant. And I have started to have some light pink spotting and would like to know where is it coming from?

Pregnancy health [ 1 Answers ]

I missed my period in June but in July I got it twice could I be pregnant?

Pregnancy and health [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend rob have been trying to get pregnant for about 3 months now and it seems like its not going to happen. What are somes things I can do to conceive a child?

Not quite sure if it's pregnancy, but it's health related. [ 1 Answers ]

OK so here it goes. I have this sort of pink discharge coming out. It's not like, period blood because it's very faint. It's kind of like what your period is on your last day of it. The only problem is that I'm 4 days from my period. I have never in my life EVER started my period early. It's...

Health during pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a little bit worried as recently I have been reading advice to avoid going near cat faeces while pregnant. I am 11 weeks pregnant and when I was about 5 weeks pregnant I cleared out some cat faeces from my garden, I had plastic bags over my hands to do this and I did not get any on my...

View more questions Search