Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdm2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 07:33 PM
    I am married and fixing to get divorced can the dad sign over rights to unborn child?
    I am married and we are fixing to get a divorce we have one child together and one on the way, he wants to sign his rights over to the unborn child can he do that?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 22, 2010, 01:01 AM

Did you read this? Who would he sign over his rights to? Generally, it can't be done except for an adoption.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2010, 03:57 AM

There is this myth that a parent can just sign over their rights. ONLY a court can terminate parental rights and courts will only do so under specific circumstances. They will NEVER do so to allow a parent out of paying support.

When using a site like this it's a good idea to browse around first. You can often find a FAQ (like the sticky AK linked to) or previous questions that will have answers that bear on your question.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 22, 2010, 01:21 PM

The divorce won't be finished until the second child is born and the courts can rule on it. And no he can't just sign his rights away he will have to pay child support whether he likes it or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my unborn child'd father to sign his rights over [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Im not sure how this all works, but. I was dating this guy and a month into the relationship I ended up pregnant. When I was about 3 months pregnant we broke up. He declares that the baby is not his (even though it is) he doesn't believe me. He wants a DNA test done to see if it is and if it is...

Getting the father to sign over rights of unborn child [ 7 Answers ]

The father of my unborn child has decided he wants nothing to do with the kid. It's not a good situation however it was a mishap and I am now back with my boyfriend who cannot have children. We are looking to make a family ourselves and leave this man completely out of it. I need to know what...

Does he have rights to my unborn child with me being married to my husband? [ 10 Answers ]

Can another man come to the hospitol and stop my husband from signing the bitrh certificate if he says he thinks he is the father? I'm so stressed out he won't stop texting my phone asking how his baby is and I don't even believe the baby is his. What are my rights and can the other man keep...

Get him to sign away unborn child rights. [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant, and the man I got pregnant with doesn't want anything to do with the child. I'm trying to find out if there is some kind of legal document I can print up to let him sign to reliquish his rights as a father. He says he'll sign whatever I want... but the money is just not there to go...

How to get deadbeat dad to sign over rights/ name change for the child? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 4yr old son that I gave birth to when I was 17 and made the biggest mistake of my life by giving my son the guy's last name and putting him on the birth certificate. I also made the mistake of filing for child support and though he has non- custodial rights he has not been in contact with...

View more questions Search