Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    texanindistress Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Under slab leak
    I have looked at several entries on slab leaks. But a couple of questions remain. What does a leak detection firm charge - ball park only of course? I see that a listening device is used to locate the leak, can I replicate this myself? After they have found the leak - I will have to get through the slab to the leaky pipe. What is the best way for me to do that? I can't hire this done. I know that the leak is from the how water line, right now we turn off the hot water line after using what we need.
    Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2007, 05:33 AM
    The last time I checked, Sleuth charged 250$ to locate, cut the slab, bag the dirt and bare the leak for the plumber to repair. It could be more or less in your area. I don't know if you can build, or rent, your own listening device. We follow Sleuth in after they prepare the slab for us so I've never been on site when they did their work. Once the leak has been bared we cut out the bad piece and drain the system down. After we evacuate all the moisture out of the pipes so we can solder we take two couplings, one regular and the other a slip coupling, and solder in a new piece of pipe. We then fill the hole and float a cement patch over the hole and the job is finished. A little tip: You can not go by the warm spot on the slab as the leak may be feet away from the "hot spot". This is not a job for the average home owner as it requires considerable plumbing skills to solder a joint under these conditions. If there's even a pinhole leak the entire repair job must be cut out and the system drained down and the entire process repeated.
    Regards, Tom
    Edith_Texas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 06:11 PM
    We recently had a similar problem, but we used trenchless pipe restoration. It is great - they use an epoxy pipeliner that repairs the inside of the pipe. It saved us a bunch of money.

The guys that helped were great - www.accurateleak.com - It is a cool technology.

Edith

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slab leak under my bathtub [ 4 Answers ]

I have a slab leak under my bathtub. I do not know what is really going on. I called my home warranty and they sent out a plumber. The plumber told me that it is coming from my bathtub and that I will need to take out the tub, then they will be able to fix the slab leak for over 800 dollars. I...

Leak Under Concrete Slab [ 3 Answers ]

I found out that I have a water leak under my slab floor. Apparantely the leak is between the shutoff out in the yard and the meter(which is located in the hallway utility closet). I hear water gurgling in my ductwork which is also in the slab. Called local plumber and he says I'm looking at...

Under slab leak to kitchen island [ 3 Answers ]

Help I am at my wits end trying to avoid tearing up my slab to replace a ½” hot water line that runs from a wall manifold under my slab to an island that houses the kitchen sink and dishwasher. I am the lucky recipient of this leak shortly after moving into a 7 year old home. Further, the leak...

Under slab leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hot water pipe is leaking under slab. How do you break the ceramic tiles and the concrete to fix the pipe:

Tub drain - slab - leak [ 1 Answers ]

I searched and searched but couldn't find anything here onthis problem Here's my problem - Raised foundation/Slab Florida Home 1949 Construction The junction where the tub overflow and tub drain meet looks disintegrated. There is an area of slab cut away from this and the water is just...

View more questions Search