Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coralani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 11:32 AM
    Security deposit withheld for supposed late rent
    He returned only $50 from $1100. He withheld money to clean cat hair and false charges for cable he claims we had, and $100 per month for the last 6 months which he says our rent was late. This is the 1st we ever heard of our rent late. It was due on the 1st and late after 5 days. Always mailed by the 3rd at the latest in Hawaii which mail only takes 1 day, 2 at the most. He knew we were going to CA so it would be hard to go after him. I am planning on going next week. Can I add my plane fare to the claim. He is a crook!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2010, 11:35 AM

No, you can't add your airplane fare to your lawsuit. It's the cost of doing business (unfortunately for you).
    coralani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 11:42 AM
    OK. That bites. But what about trying to get late rent charges now when we were never notified of late rent. Don't they have to invoice you at the time?Also no receipts were included for the cat hair or cable he is talking about.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2010, 11:56 AM

Without reading your lease I don't know what the landlord is required to do. I owned apartment houses and I always notified people when their rent was late and they owed me extra - within days of receiving the payment. I also saved the envelopes in case there was a question. I'm surprised the landlord just let the time run but I can't fine any REQUIREMENT that he notify you. Maybe in the lease - ?

Without receipts he's got a losing case. (That's a lot of money to remove cat hair unless he picked it up one strand at a time with tweezers!)

You can ALWAYS file and include your transportation charges but that part will definitely be thrown out UNLESS you can PROVE that he let you leave, then notified you of the charges, knowing you would have to come back to pursue him. I think it's a VERY long shot but you can always try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does late payment of rent in PA forfeit security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I am a landlord in PA and have a tenant who has ben chronically late with payments, so as a result I would drive to her apartment to collect it. There is a statement in the lease that says more than 5 days late paying the rent and you owe a 35.00 late charge. I have never collected it from her, can...

Can a landlord in NY ask for deposit and rent AND security? [ 1 Answers ]

I saw an ad for an apartment where the landlord (who also owns the building) is asking for security one month and one month rent AND a one month deposit... Is that legal? Isn't a deposit and security the same?

Rent Security Deposit [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm in Los Angeles California, I lived in my previous apt for 3 years and just received my security deposit. The landlord charged about $500 of it for repairs which I think is crazy. My apartment was left in good condition. She charged me for carpet cleaning, paint, vinyl in kitchen... etc....

Rent and Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm hoping you can give me good advice. I found a place to rent. I gave the tenant (whom is not on the lease) $600 for rent for the month of June. I was in the process of moving in. I also gave the tenant $600 for a security deposit. The tenant and I had a dispute and now he wants me...

View more questions Search