Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sulefam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Can a landlord in NY ask for deposit and rent AND security?
    I saw an ad for an apartment where the landlord (who also owns the building) is asking for security one month and one month rent AND a one month deposit... Is that legal? Isn't a deposit and security the same?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 08:33 AM

It's all in the wording - the landlord is asking for first month's rent, last month's rent and security deposit. It's totally legal. If you are willing to do so the landlord could ask for ALL of the rent for the term of the lease in front.

Unless it's discrimination it is totally legal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord keep both last month's rent AND a security deposit after 1 year? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question about a Pennsylvania real estate law and landlord keeping last month's rent and a security deposit after 1 year of residency. I signed a rental agreement for a house in which I currently live in August, 2008. At that time, I paid the landlord first AND last months' rent as...

Can the landlord take my Security Deposit? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in an apartment for the last 7 months and we recently purchased a home. The landlord agreed to let me out of my lease agreement as long as I found someone to rent the apartment. I placed an ad in the newspaper and I paid the rent for the last two months even though I didn't...

Rent Security Deposit [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm in Los Angeles California, I lived in my previous apt for 3 years and just received my security deposit. The landlord charged about $500 of it for repairs which I think is crazy. My apartment was left in good condition. She charged me for carpet cleaning, paint, vinyl in kitchen... etc....

Rent and Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm hoping you can give me good advice. I found a place to rent. I gave the tenant (whom is not on the lease) $600 for rent for the month of June. I was in the process of moving in. I also gave the tenant $600 for a security deposit. The tenant and I had a dispute and now he wants me...

View more questions Search