Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roy022 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Chronic Cough and AIDS
    I don't know much about Aids, but I had some risky sex in mid-October

I had a productive cough for about 2 weeks. But the initial onset lasted about 3 weeks before it went away entirely.

I took an HIV test during the third week of this cough and the results came back negative. This was in mid-December. Could I still be infected and show symptoms even though the results were negative.
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jan 2, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Roy,
    I looked up some HIV/Aids sites. To my understanding you do not contract Aids from sex, you can get HIV and that is what ultimatly leads to AIDS. I also don't think symptoms happen that quickly, but either way it is good that you got tested, and should get tested every year, especially if your having risky sex. You are correct that you can still be infected even though the results are negative, I am not sure about the showing symptoms though...

My guess is that your just have something else giving you the caugh, at least I hope so. You say you got tested, did you consult your physician as well? Did you ask about your caugh and have it checked on? Have you been taking any medication?

Best Wishes

My searches to our question:

How quickly do people infected with HIV develop AIDS?

In some people, the T-cell decline and opportunistic infections that signal AIDS develop soon after infection with HIV. But most people do not develop symptoms for 10 to 12 years, and a few remain symptom-free for much longer. As with most diseases, early medical care can help prolong a person's life. amfAR ABOUT HIV/AIDS

HIV/AIDS Symptoms

Many people do not develop symptoms after getting infected with HIV. Some people have a flu-like illness within several days to weeks after exposure to the virus. They complain of fever, headache, tiredness, and enlarged lymph glands in the neck. These symptoms usually disappear on their own within a few weeks.

* Following initial infection, you may have no symptoms. The progression of disease varies widely among individuals. This state may last from a few months to more than 10 years.

O During this period, the virus continues to multiply actively and infects and kills the cells of the immune system. The immune system allows us to fight against the bacteria, viruses, and other infectious causes.

O The virus destroys the cells that are the primary infection fighters, called CD4+ or T4 cells.

* Once the immune system weakens, a person infected with HIV can develop the following symptoms:

O Lack of energy

O Weight loss

O Frequent fevers and sweats

O Persistent or frequent yeast infections

O Persistent skin rashes or flaky skin

O Short-term memory loss

O Mouth, genital, or anal sores from herpes infections.

* AIDS is the most advanced stage of HIV infection. The definition of AIDS includes all HIV-infected people who have fewer than 200 CD4+ cells per microliter of blood. The definition also includes 26 conditions that are common in advanced HIV disease but that rarely occur in healthy people. Most of these conditions are infections caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and other organisms. Opportunistic infections are common in people with AIDS. Nearly every organ system is affected. Some of the common symptoms include the following:

O Cough and shortness of breath

O Seizures and lack of coordination

O Difficult or painful swallowing

O Mental symptoms such as confusion and forgetfulness

O Severe and persistent diarrhea

O Fever

O Vision loss

O Nausea, abdominal cramps, and vomiting

O Weight loss and extreme fatigue

O Severe headaches with neck stiffness

O Coma

* People with AIDS are prone to develop various cancers such as Kaposi sarcoma, cervical cancer, and cancers of the immune system known as lymphomas. Kaposi sarcoma causes round, brown, reddish or purple spots that develop in the skin or in the mouth. After the diagnosis of AIDS is made, the average survival time has been estimated to be 2-3 years.
    HIV/AIDS
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Jan 5, 2007, 12:06 AM
    I can understand you fear. Most symptom of HIV/AIDS begin as symptoms of the common cold.

These symptoms can and usually go away, but years later, come back with a vengeance. However, you should contact the Physician, clinic who conducted your test and ask what kind of test they used.

In the recent years, Doctors have begun to conduct test called Polymerase Chain Reaction or immunoassay, or EIA, because they detected the virus a whole lot eariler than tests in the past. Nevertheless, it is still recommended that these tests be taken every year to detect the virus since weeks or months might pass after exposure to the virus before antibodies can be detected in the body.

Scary isn't it? I know because I had an accidental needle stick some years back with a patient and I still have bad dreams that a huge needle keep chasing me through the park.

So let this be a lesson to you about being safer and following as many precaution as you can. The pathology of this disease is very, very frightening, but just get checked every year - as everyone should.

Hope this answer your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. Danielle Zerr, MD, 2006. Discovery Health :: Diseases & Conditions :: HIV

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advil and Cough Syrup [ 1 Answers ]

My ovulation started on the 5-9th of dec my husband and I had sex all through.On Sunday the 10th I was down with a flu the doctor prescribed advil for me and cough syrup.I have been taking it though,I want to know if is okay can it affect me conceiving

My cat has a cough [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2-year old male cale, with all shots, not neutured. He has been very healthy until now. He has developed a cough. I thought maybe it might be a hair ball because he had been licking his fur, it has been a week now and he is still coughing, acting like he has to throw up but doesn't. ...

Cough [ 5 Answers ]

My 7 month old Lab has a deep cough. He only coughs when he runs or gets excited just a few times then he stops. Sounds like Croop?? We are having Santa Ana Winds could he have allergys? If so What can I give him. He is eating and playing fine. Nose is cold and wet

Disinfecting for Kennel Cough ? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with disinfecting their house and yard and dog beds/kennels with the germ that causes kennel cough? I know about bleach mixtures, but that seems too caustic for metals crates, loungers and others. In doing a favor for a rescue group yesterday, I may have infected my...

View more questions Search