Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginger2010 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Oct 10, 2010, 08:25 AM
    Online relationship
    So I met this guy through my friend... only catch, I met him through Facebook as well. He's currently at school across the country, so our relationship has been online. We've been "dating" online for almost two months now. At first it was mainly Facebook messages, and phone calls. But we exchange handwritten letters every week, as well. And recently, we've been video chatting every night for at least 2 hours. There's no doubt in my mind that we will meet in person when we both go home for break. We've come to learn so much about each other, and feel so much for each other. We've both admitted that, at times, we forget that we met online, and feel like we've been an item forever. Last night, we were on video chat, and he said "I love you." I wanted to say it back, but I feel like I want to wait until we've met in person. We both kind of got awkward and he was immediantely like "oh my god that slipped out...". I don't know what that means. Or how I should feel about it. All I know is it made me extremely happy and quite terrified at the same time. Is it smarter to wait until we've met in person to express my feelings back to him, or should I just express how I feel to him now? I've wanted to say those three little words to him so many times, but I feel like it might just not be the right time, when I remind myself that this has been an online relationship... what do you all think?/
    lemon14 Posts: 143, Reputation: 9

Oct 10, 2010, 12:25 PM
    I think that you should listen to your heart. If you feel that it's too early to express your feelings then, wait. These matters cannot be hastened if you are not ready.
    KoolAide187 Posts: 94, Reputation: 21

Oct 16, 2010, 10:44 PM
    I think you should tell him how you feel. Once you do that, he will feel better... that akwardness will you both will be able to express how much you feel for each other more freely. Take your time until you're ready but if you feel happy about him saying it at least you know how he feels. Maybe he is waiting for the same from you... he is waiting for that happiness. If there is no doubt in your mind that you two will meet then just do it. You will feel much better afterwards. But only tell him if you truly feel the same for him. GL
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 10:52 PM

If you do love him then there's no reason not to say it.

If however, you are only thinking about saying it because he did, then no, you shouldn't.

You're obviously hesitant. Is it really because you two haven't met in person, or is something else holding you back from saying those three little words? Be honest with yourself and you'll know what to do.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 06:35 PM

You don't Love him nor he you , you can't love someone without actually meeting them. What you love is the thought of what he is , or might be once you meet.

Sure meet , and if all falls in place maybe those feelings can materialise , I hope it works out for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 06:54 PM

If you have both been honest and for a couple months shared emails, chats, phone calls and now video chats, you can actually get to know the other person better than a couple who do real life dating, since so often they are playing games, and sexual desires or sex itself soon confuses things or takes up all the time instead of talking. Or you sit and watch TV or see a movie and so on, so you still don't talk.

So I do believe at some level you can love each other, but it is one that has a long way to grow.

Oct 25, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Comment on KoolAide187's post
    You're right, I ended up telling him how I feel, and he was so happy and said it back right away. Our relationship has definitely become much more open and, as you said, we can more freely express ourselves. I feel that we've become much closer.thx
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2010, 03:40 PM

Glad to hear it is going well for you. I have to say, my husband and I both knew we loved each other before we actually met in person. There are pros and cons with how these kinds of relationships begin.

Oct 25, 2010, 05:59 PM
    Comment on DoulaLC's post
    Could you list for me some of the pros and cons you encountered?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 07:20 PM

You have been dating Online for two months. Before you get caught up in the whirlwind, get to know each other face to face, see how you really are in person, in real life and in real time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make an Online Relationship work? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi. I've been dating this great guy online for a few months. It's been so wonderful. He lives in Washington, and I live in New York. We are going to go on vacation together soon, but there has just been something on my mind that has been killing me. How can I make this relationship work? How can I...

Confused about an online-ish... Relationship. [ 22 Answers ]

Hi. I'm only 16, so sorry, I'm ignorant when it comes to relationships. But I met this guy through a friend online. He's very sweet, we've been talking for a couple of weeks and we have a lot in common- our conversations just seem to flow. I've seen pictures of him, he's cute and he's very...

Online relationship. Need some suggestions. [ 35 Answers ]

A lot of merged threads Hi everyone. Here is my situation and I need some help. Recently, I have met this wonderful girl through an online game. Started with flirty emails and then we added each other on messenger. Over the few week's time, I found myself falling for her. She seems to...

Online relationship with an egyptian guy [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I recently met an Egyptian guy through a christian dating site. Although he is egyptian by descent, he told me he has migrated to australia with his parents since he was a child. Things happened too fast between us and now we're exchanging I love you's and planning about future marriage. I...

I need opinions on a possible long distance relationship that started online [ 16 Answers ]

First of all... Hello everyone!! :p I haven't been around in awhile, and I hope that things are looking up for those that I used to see here. OK, I need some opinions and advice. In Nov. I started an online friendship with a guy that I met on a site that is owned by the company I work for. It...

View more questions Search