Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CondoGirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 03:59 PM
    I live on the top floor condo of a 3 floor condo building.
    My neighbor below me says that when I take a bath, water leaks through her exhaust fan onto the floor. This only happens when I take a bath, not when I take a shower every morning. I tried letting out a little water at a time which seems to help, but not always. I asked my condo assn. mgnt. And they said it was not their responsibility. So is it my responsibility or my neighbor's or both?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 04:19 PM

The HOA is not responsible for your plumbing valkves but they are usually responsible for the drain lines. Now for a few question so we can help you. Is the bath tub and shower separate or is it a tub w/shower?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Everything inside your condo is yours. Unless your condo agreement covers interior repairs, you are the responsible party. Sounds like you might have a leak in the tub spout area. Water comes out the mixing valve directly into the tub. Depending on how the plumbing runs, there could be 3-4 joints in the wall. When you shower, water goes from the mixing valve up the wall and out the shower. No water comes into the tub. If the bath wall with the plumbing is accessible through a closet, you can remove the closet back wall and pretty much see what is happening. If no access, The tile has to come out. Wiggle the tub spout. If it is loose, water could be spraying back or leaking down inside the wall. Have the spout tightened and make sure there is caulking around the pipe where it comes through the wall. In the meanting, take showers, they save you money! Check your liability insurance, it may cover repairs to your neighbors unit.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 07:14 PM

First, it is your responsibility.

Second, 90% certain that the problem is the gasket between the tub and the overflow pipe. I'm guessing but in all probability it is your practice is to fill the tub completely then get in the tub. When you get in the tub, water goes out the overflow pipe. Because the gasket has deteriorated, water leaks out.

Don't fill the tub so full that it overflows when you get in it.

Replace the overflow gasket. Remove the screw or screws holding the overflow cover in place. You will see the gasket between the tub and the piping. Pull it out through the opening in the tub. Get a new overflow gasket, slip it in between the piping and the tub. Reinstall the over flow cover. The screw or screws hold the cover plate, the tub, the gasket and the pipe together.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 07:21 PM
    Hi all...

Harold presents a great place to start Condogirl... see pictures below to see the overflow, gasket and other parts associated with the drain assembly.

One pic. Shows a side view with the pipes/gasket behind the tub. The other pic. Is from the front with the trip lever mechanism removed.

If all looks good after examining the gasket/trip lever assembly you'll want to check for that access panel mentioned by MA0641. If needed, you can cut your own access panel and install a "snap in" ready made access panel from home depot when finished... ;)

Back to you...

Mark

Attached Images

CondoGirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 05:20 AM
    It's a tub with a shower. And a few years ago I had it overlayed with REBATH so the only access is to take the plate off the faucet thing.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 07:55 PM

You should still have an overflow. Over flow is where the little lever is to open and close the drain. Show us a picture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does a building manager charge for on call serices for a condo building? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked by a property management company what I would charge to a condo board for on call resolve to building maintenance problems, noise complaints etc. They want to be charged per issue. Some things would require going on site to meet the trades and some issues could be resolved by...

Is it even possible to replace a shower drain in a concrete condo floor? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 3rd floor walk up condo with concrete floor/ceilings. My 3/4 bath shower drain leaks into the owners recessed light/shower ceiling below me (causing her shower ceiling to sag and much panic on her part). After caulking the usual suspects and checking for other obvious signs, I still leak...

Occasional Humming noise above my first floor condo [ 2 Answers ]

From time to time There is a humming noise that happens up in the ceiling. I shut the furnace off to see if the noise would stop and it hasnot. Any thoughts on why this is happening? Do you think it is an HOA issue?

Clogged Bathroom Sink 3rd Floor Condo [ 1 Answers ]

I live on a 3rd floor condo and there is no condo above me, there are two below me. I've noticed lately that my bathroom sink drains slowly. I put liquid plumber and it temporarily fixed the problem. About a week or two later it was draining slowly again. I left it as is. Today after coming home...

Sewage backup in condo unit on 11th floor [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a new condo on the 11th floor and I've been having plumbing issues for the last few months. The building contractors seem unable to help. Basically, I get sewage discharge coming up through my bathroom sink drain and when I flush the toilet the pipes in the shower make a gurgling or...

View more questions Search