Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janetbowen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 07:44 PM
    Chirping noise in an outside light switch
    We have a floodlight on our back porch and I just noticed tonight that it has a chirp (intermittent) that I've never noticed before. It stops if I put pressure on the cover or push on the switch but as soon as I let go it starts again. It also chirps when the switch is in the off position. Not a crackling or poppiing noise, definitely a chirp, like crickets.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Could be just metal rubbing against metal, such as the mounting screws or strap.

May be worth having it checked out, and replaced, just to be sure there is no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

Swapping Dual Light Switch for Dimmer/Three Position Switch for Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to swap out a dual switch for a switch that has a dimmer for the ceiling fan light and a three position switch to control the fan. The original wiring had white to white on switch, black to black on switch, and one black from light connected to the top switch pole and the other black...

Chirping noise [ 0 Answers ]

You might turn on a light switch or you might not be doing anything but sitting in your chair and you will here a shrill chirping sound. Very random when it occurs. I disconnected the smoke alarms today and it still does it. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Short chirping noise from breaker box when air conditioner kicks on [ 3 Answers ]

Is this a problem... just a very short chirp... I removed panel cover and could not find any charring or loose connections

New dimmer switch will not dim light - taking power from 3 way switch [ 2 Answers ]

New dimmer switch will not dim light - I am trying to hook up a dimmer switch in a electrical box that already contains a three way switch. I am trying to take power from the three way switch to power the new dimmer and light. The way it is hooked up now the new light works but will not dim with...

View more questions Search