Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smiles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 09:50 PM
    I am getting a divorce
    I am a 22 year old f. I am getting a divorce from my soon to be ex husband. We are separated right now. I have not even started getting the divorce started because, I am worried after the divorce is settled and everything. If I take him off my car, am I going to loose my car because it is still financed
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 28, 2006, 09:58 PM
    When you say take him off your car, that could be a couple of things, his joint responsibility with you to pay the loan according to it's terms or off the registration that indicates who is the owner of the car ? Let me take one thing at a time, first since the vehicle is financed, the lender would have to agree either to let you remove him from responsibility for the note or let you take out a loan in your name solely. That's means in their eyes you would have need to qualify or have the necessary credit otherwise they more than likely will not let you take his name off the promissory note. The registration is another matter. I am not sure about this but look at your state registration and see if it's in your name alone or joint with him. Then consult with the state DMV. Hope this helps.
    smiles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 03:23 AM
    We are both on the car lone. I am just worried about losing my car. When I take him off my car because I know; if I have to get financed by myself I will not get approved. I know I can pay the payment. I am just worried about them telling me I have to get financed by myself. Because I have horrible credit because of him now… I hope someone can lead me in the right place or try to explain to me what is going to happen with the my car.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 29, 2006, 05:15 AM
    In the divorce settlement seek to leave him on the acct in return for something else - if there's nothing else for him, then if I were him, I would want my name off the loan. Sorry, there's no other answer unless someone will cosign for you or you choose to refinance with your credit at a very high rate. Most Buy here Pay here car lots will finance most anyone. Just you might not get a great deal.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 09:52 AM
    You won't lose the car as long as you continue to make the payments as scheduled. If both of your names are on the lien then you are both legally responsible for paying for it, whether separated/divorced or not. If the loan becomes defaulted, the lienholder can pursue both of you separately to satisfy the balance. If you plan to retain possession of the car after the divorce then having his name removed from the lien would be your best course of action as it then gives you exclusive rights to it. On the flip side, it makes you solely responsible for paying off the balance. If you needed his income or credit rating to get the loan in the first place, then getting him removed could be a problem. In that case, you'd still be wise to make all scheduled payments so that it doesn't go into default and possible repossession. If that happens, that'll hurt your credit rating tremendously and make it all the more difficult for you to get future credit on your own.
    prettyunique Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 02:35 PM
    I live in NC, how do you file for a legal separation from a marriage?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce or not [ 7 Answers ]

I have been married nine years and just found out last week that my husband cheated on me with his first wife just before we were married and just after. I have had my suspicions within 6 months after we married he came down with herpes... that he never had before in the months we dates and not...

Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I am from IOWA. I have recently been served with divorce papers. How many days do I have to contest the divorce?

Divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Can you divorce a spouse who is in a comatose state?

Divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is going through a divorce and it's been a year and a half and still no final decree has been signed. His wife and her lawyer has done everything in their power to stall the whole process. What I mean by that is she was acusing him of committing adultry, never turned in any evidience for...

Just out of a divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I've been with a truly wonderful man for almost 2 years. When I met him he had more baggage than some airports however I was aware of this. I wouldn't have hung on through all his issues had he not shown me the kind of love women dream of. He and I have a very adult relationship. We got each other...

View more questions Search