Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c10705 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Divorce
    Can you divorce a spouse who is in a comatose state?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Yes, you will have to file with the court , hire an attorney. Most likely the court will appoint an attorney to represent the spouse, and see if some monetay payment would be required ( allimony) and the such. The court would normally also appoint the spouse a guardian.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 07:02 PM
    It would depend on the laws of your state. Given that a comatose spouse obviously can't defend him/herself, it could be complicated. But why would you want to?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2006, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    But why would you want to?
    Perhaps to move on with ones life?

Hypothetically, let's say a marriage was on VERY shaky grounds. Then the husband goes into a coma. Does the wife want to stick around for a man she was already thinking about divorcing?

c10705, yes you can. Contact a divorce attorney who can advise you on the specific laws where you live.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is going through a divorce and it's been a year and a half and still no final decree has been signed. His wife and her lawyer has done everything in their power to stall the whole process. What I mean by that is she was acusing him of committing adultry, never turned in any evidience for...

Yes/No to divorce? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband of eleven years told me he wasn't in love with me anymore. We have been separated a little over a year now. He has a girlfriend which he says is not serious. I have filed for divorce but for some reason he does not want to divorce me. He says, "he cares because he calls to see how I...

Cause of Divorce? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I have a very bad situation on my hands. See, I'm 13 and my parents MIGHT get a divorce because of me. See, I saw my mom doing somwthing that she shouldn't have been doing (making out with a friend of her and my dad's when she was drunk) and I told my dad because I was scared and confused. ...

Divorce-Who does it? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend lives in Iowa, has decided to divorce his wife. They are not contesting anything, want 50/50 with their two daughters and agree on everything. The question is does he have to pay an attorney $2000 to get the divorce or can he get the necissary papers and do it himself for around $300?

Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has filed for divorce and we've been separated since June, 2003. He's not provided any support for me or my three children. I can't afford an attorney. Any free resources available on what I need to do? I've responded to the suit, but he's filed for joint custody and my children do...

View more questions Search