Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CSmith40 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2010, 11:02 AM
    Donated property to a city is forever when did forever become forty years?
    The City of North Bay Ontario had been donated park land for forever. They claim forever is only 40 years can this be substantiated by an Ontario Statute?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 11:14 AM

I know North Bay. Do you want them to have the land for forty years, or you don't? Isn't it better park land then ruined by loggers ? I think don't anyone here can tell you if this is substantiated or not. I am from Ontario, and there is no way I know the answer to that question. You could check with your MP in North Bay. He would know if there is a statute.

Tick

Sep 12, 2010, 11:18 AM

Hi there the City of North Bay is selling off donated park land the parkland was donated to them for forever however the City claims there is an Ontario statute that states forever only means 40 years I was hoping someone could advise what statute they are referring too if not ww will contact our local MP Monique Smith thanks.
    Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 11:22 AM

Yes, your second post sort of clarified your first post. No need to post twice.We are all volunteers here and answers come from different directions.

No, as I stated, I would suggest you contact your MP. If the land was donated to them, possibly from an estate do you think, then the title would have been changed over to the City of North Bay and quite frankly, they can do what they want with it if this is the case. It would be quite legal.

However, if there was a clause stating they couldn't sell, then changes the picture.

Tick

Sep 12, 2010, 11:29 AM

Sorry
    Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CSmith40 View Post
    sorry
    That's quite all right. This kind of statute would be a statute within another one, etc. Unless you had the book of Ontario Statues then you couldn't access the information you wanted. Your town hall would probably have a reference book for this as well, but your best bet is still your MP.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 12:27 PM

The problem with donated land, is that unless it is put and set up into its own trust, the new owner is not really obligated by the will to follow the wishes of the previous owner, unless there was some restrictions put on it.

Sep 12, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Thank you for your response the donated land is currently in use with 2 baseballs fields and is over 3 acres it was gifted by Tapper Gray and even his descendants are not happy with the City's decision to sell off the land for profit to build new ball fields in a remote location in the City. The City is using "The Forty Year Rule" as their defense. Do you know of any other laws that could protect the original gentlemen's agreement? Thanks Again...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CSmith40 View Post
    Do you know of any other laws that could protect the original gentlemen's agreement?
    Hello C:

Here in the US, there is NO gentleman's agreement when it comes to real estate. If, when the land was donated, there was nothing WRITTEN to prevent the city from selling it, then they can sell it. They could even do it before 40 years...

Maybe Canada is different... But, I don't think so...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alone forever? [ 3 Answers ]

All right a lot of girl find me attractive they even told me I was and I don't blame them. I mean I'm strong, smart, funny, fun to be around. But when it comes down to it nobody wants to date me. Its so confusing can anyone help me out?

Alone forever? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 5.5 yrs broke up with me back in August. I have gone on a couple dates and I have had NO connection except for the one I wrote a previous thread about. I know that it's the common thing to be said by singles "ill never find anyone else" or "am I going to be alone forever?" But now...

Is She Gone Forever? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, here's my situation, I look forward to everyone's response and thank you in advance. I've dated my girlfriend for over 4 years now, and at about two years we both broke up and seen other people and came back to each other after a few months. Well everything has been great up until this point I...

View more questions Search