Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkeener Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 05:30 AM
    How long can you live in the house in the state of Virginia
    My house is will be forclosed on sept 20 I know they give you some time to move would you know that leght on time in virginia
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2010, 07:09 AM

I have found two different sites, both posted by realtors, which say between 3 and 10 days. I would call an Attorney and ask - better to be safe than sorry.
    kalliereann Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Sep 8, 2010, 10:52 PM
    I would be out by September 20th, no later than the 23rd, with everything clean and ready for the bank. They may offer you Cash for Keys (if so, a notice should be posted shortly).

Play it safe and leave on time. I've seen too many people leave important things behind.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kalliereann View Post
    I would be out by September 20th, no later than the 23rd, with everything clean and ready for the bank. They may offer you Cash for Keys (if so, a notice should be posted shortly).

Play it safe and leave on time. I've seen too many people leave important things behind.

Could you quote your source for the "out by September 20th" advice, please? I can find nothing this specific.

Sep 9, 2010, 11:14 AM
    Sure can.

The original poster said the house will foreclose on the 20th.
    I would not give advice otherwise.

I have seen foreclosures happen in an instant, and others happen in more time than expected.

The difference between 3 and 10 days is quite a bit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2010, 11:51 AM

From what I found, you will be given 7-10 days to vacate. However, if you don't vacate, the bank will have to go through the eviction process to get you out. On the other hand you may not want an eviction as well as a foreclosure on your record.

As the homeowner, you would have ample warning of the foreclosure and the date of auction. So there is little excuse for not finding somewhere else to live.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    From what I found, you will be given 7-10 days to vacate. However, if you don't vacate, the bank will have to go through the eviction process to get you out. On the other hand you may not want an eviction as well as a foreclosure on your record.

As the homeowner, you would have ample warning of the foreclosure and the date of auction. So there is little excuse for not finding somewhere else to live.

Exactly what I found but with a different time frame - I'm sure the party foreclosing could provide the info (they don't want to go through the trouble of evicting).
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kalliereann View Post
    Sure can.

The original poster said the house will foreclose on the 20th.
    I would not give advice otherwise.

I have seen foreclosures happen in an instant, and others happen in more time than expected.

The difference between 3 and 10 days is quite a bit.

I meant your legal site, where you got the 3 day, "out by the 23rd" advice. I cannot find that specific info.

Sep 9, 2010, 01:03 PM
    My answer is advice, as I previously mentioned.
    I worked for and helped create the first licensed loan modification group in Nevada.
    Although foreclosures in Virginia are entirely different, they are also more difficult.

http://www.foreclosure.com/statelaw_VA.html

In most states, when the property is foreclosed upon, you are viewed and treated as a tenant. They would serve a 72 hour notice.
    The circumstances are different in Virginia and I would not advise staying in the property.

"Notice of foreclosure or a copy of the advertisement must be served on the defaulted borrower at least fourteen (14) days before the sale and must provide a description of the property being foreclosed upon, and provide the time, place and terms of the sale. The foreclosure sale cannot occur earlier than eight (8) days after the first advertisement of the foreclosure sale and no later than thirty (30) days after the last advertisement."

If you are planning on risking it, I would call an attorney PRACTICING IN VIRGINIA, as their foreclosure process is rather unique.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the wife leave the house if her spouse cheated on her in the state of virginia [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of virginia. My husband lives in the basement, I did not know this is consider a separation. Since he committed adultry on me and I believe he still is, if I leave the house is it consider abandonment? Or can I leave and when the house is sold get my share?

Where do I send form 8379 I live in West virginia [ 1 Answers ]

I live in West Virginia. I filed my regular taxes online, but now I have to mail my form 8379. I need an address. Please help

Eviction in the State of Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the State of Virginia and my two children live with me and are not paying me the weekly rate we verbally agreed upon - $100.00 per person to live with me. One of them is destroying my home with his filth and rages when I ask him to clean. What are the legal steps I need to take to evict...

View more questions Search