Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kennibrew Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Chase Bank is trying to garnish my wages
    I am currently paying Chase Bank monthly, but it not enough for them though they accept it. I have made many attempts to negotiate by letter, notarized letter, and phone, but they truly are unrelenting and I get different information all the time. The current situation is that I am allowed to object to garnishment or request a lower amount of garnishment before a hearing is set. Basically, Chase is not suing for non-payment but for amount of payment.

Can you explain their power to take my money as head of household in New Jersey? Is Bankruptcy my only option if I lose?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2010, 06:57 AM

A creditor does not have to accept smaller payments than required by contract/agreement. Are they asking you to agree to garnishment?

Or do they have a Judgment against you?

You can always explain to the Court why you have head of household status and cannot survive on the amount left after garnishment but not a lot of these motions succeed.
    bendingleconte Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Aug 26, 2010, 09:29 AM

Kennibrew, I personally went through a similar situation with Chase. I fell behind due to a medical issue that would not allow my wife to work for 2 years. I was behind 4 or 5 months, minimum payments due went from $150 to entire past due amount plus fees! They were the only card that would not offer help until I asked about a little known program called RE-AGING the account.

I owed $5600, payments were supposed to be about $200/mo. Chase stated in writing that if I made 3 regular monthly payments of $300 they would consider the account current and in good standing.

I did that and now they are reporting current on my credit reports and my min. payment is $185. Still a lot to pay but my neck is above water because of it. I hope this helps you.
    Kennibrew Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 11:02 AM

Thank you, both of you. JudyKayTee: They have as yet only asked me to to agree to the garnisment, of course, I did not agree. I have that option. I am waiting for my employer to serve the papers so that I can officially present my case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Enforcement remedies. Can I garnish both wages and bank account [ 1 Answers ]

I received a judgement for $6500 and I was wondering about enforcement remedies. Can I garnish both wages and bank account

Can my car loan lender garnish my bank account/wages in Texas? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my car loan lender garnish my bank account/wages in Texas?

How do I find someone to garnish their bank acct and/or wages? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against someone. How do I find this person? When I find this person's bank, do I just walk in the door and hand them the judgement? At the person's employer, who do I go to or how do I get the company to garnish the wages?

Garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

Can a credit card company card companies garnish wages.

Can a creditor garnish my wages or take money out of my bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received court papers from an old credit card debt. The paper say I have 30 days to respond or judgement will be ruled in favor of creditor. I called the creditor and they will not take less than $350/month for my $4000 debt. I'm a single mother of 2 and cannot afford $350 a month. ...

View more questions Search