Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Giggles3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 10:22 AM
    New puppy problem
    Hello, I need some advice. I am an experienced breeder of purebred Chihuahua's. Yet I am the first to admit that I have never been faced with a REAL problem in my past breedings. This morning's birth was different. One pup of three was singled out, not dried and not nursing.
    I picked up the pup and dried it off. It was cold, but alive HOWEVER, the pup obviously has either a clef lip or clef pallet. I have read in the past that such pups are best put down. Well I looked at my husband who said an immediate NO WAY NOT ME. And then I looked at this helpless pup and I just felt like Who am I to play GOD?? I want to know if this pup has a chance? I am not rich we are drowning in my medical bills which run about 26 thousand a MONTH! I am worried, very worried. Please help me.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 03:55 PM
    As cruel as it sounds, a quick death may be the best thing. It seems I vaguely remember such a defect and the pup being euthanized. Even if heroic measures would save the puppy, that seems all wrong when so many healthy dogs are slaughtered for lack of homes.
    Giggles3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 02:51 AM
    Upon arriving home in the evening I found out that momma had treated the pup with extreme predjudice. She was quite cold, and upon further examination I discovered our pup was in more trouble than I first thoguht. She had been born without a nose. If she fed she would struggle for air and choke. Her nasal cavity emptied into her mouth. I took her to the local ER where the Vet confirmed my worst fears. He said that someone with extensive trainig in hand raising pups would have a real problem in rearing this pup, and that this pup was more than likely to have more severe underlying problems that would conitue to plague her. He suggested we let her go to GOD, and we agreed. It's only human to ask why this kind of thing happens. I imagine Mary asked why the injustice was happening to her son upon the cross? It's unfortunate that Mother Nature holds the answers and refuses to talk! Thank you for trying to help. I know that the pup is at more peace than I am at this moment, since I cried all night long. I will in time adjust but I hope I never stop caring.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2006, 06:05 AM
    Wolves live in a cruel world. The mother's instincts were what was best for the pack. Give her a good butt rub for not forcing you to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8 month old puppy peeing problem [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. My 8 month old lab mix puppy pees in her sleep, in her kennel, and sometimes just goes on the floor. She is somewhat house trained, i.e. she goes out side when I let her out. She drinks a ton of water too, which I tend to ration to her now. Had a urine test done which looked OK. Vet is...

Pug Puppy Pooping Problem [ 11 Answers ]

I have a six month old pug puppy named Pearl. She poops 5 times every single day. Her poops are solid and good-sized, and they are FREQUENT. I feed her half a cup of Nutro Lamb and Rice Puppy formula dry kibble in the morning and half a cup at night. I have been adding a little Iams gravy in...

My puppy has a biting Problem! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month golden retriever who we had for 1 month now, he has a biting problem, he bites us and when we try to get him off us he just gets more aggressive and just keeps biting harder. Just today I was outside and he (my puppy) was having a good time when all of a sudden he struck me and...

Leaving puppy home alone problem! [ 2 Answers ]

Well, so far my puppy has had no more accidents in the house, and sleeps in a crate at night now. When I say "Time for bed, go lay down, go to sleep" she automatically goes into her crate on her own and lays down and goes right to bed, and usually doesn't wake up to go outside until morning. She...

Puppy Problem [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I purchaced a 6 week old male shihtzu three days ago. HE has a crate that is small enough that he can't poop in one place and sleep in another. The first night we got him, we were able to leave him in his crate for several hours while we were gone. No problems: he just went when...

View more questions Search