Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loveless044 Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2010, 05:17 AM
    What are some productive things that I can do at work?
    I'm a receptionist at a hospital and it gets really boring just sitting at this desk sometimes. I'm 17 and of course I'd rather be doing something else but I need this job. I'm actually at work now. I'm surprised this site isn't blocked because everything else is. What are some productive things that I can do at work to pass the time by. By the way, I can't leave my desk and I usually work between 4.5 to 8 hour shifts.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 16, 2010, 06:01 AM

Askyour supervisor if there is some file sorting, or computer data entry you can do that doesn't require you moving from your post. And, don't let them find you browsing the web while sitting there.

Tick
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Aug 16, 2010, 06:35 AM

How long have you been working there? I'm guessing not long as you are only 17. Give it some time, you need to earn the trust of your supervisors before they can give you more work.

Just do the best you can at what you're doing and go from there.

Aug 16, 2010, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    How long have you been working there?
    I've been working here 2 months
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 01:27 PM

I agree with tickle - why not just ask your manager if there's any paperwork you can do in your idle desk time.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 01:30 PM

To make a good impression, it's best to follow tickle's advice, always be willing to work and show a strong work ethic. Otherwise, you could read a book, do homework, study or solve a rubix cube.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2010, 01:30 PM

Hospitals run on paperwork. There is almost always filing, sorting, data entry etc. that you can do. Just ask your supervisor how you can be of help.

Aug 21, 2010, 06:20 AM

Well they bring me papers to alphabetize sometimes but I'd say that happens about once every three weeks. They rarely have filing either, but when they do usually someone else is on shift and does it because I have yet to do any filing... and on weekends, no one is in the business office so I'm stuck out here with no patients coming in, barely any visitors, and rarely any phone calls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid off an ultra productive Gopher [ 4 Answers ]

Have an ultra productive gopher living under my front lawn. How do I make his life difficult enough so he moves away ? Or, how do I catch him ? Please, help ! Milo

Sociology how do things work [ 1 Answers ]

How might ethnocentrism, xenocentrism, and temporocentrism affect people's attitude toward bilingual education programs

Can't Move On From Ex. Want to Work Things Out [ 20 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend of almost 7 years broke up with me almost a year ago. I haven't been able to move on, it seems like it just happened yesterday. I guess part of the problem is I didn't follow the "no contact" rule. Ever since the breakup, we would still see each other and talk on the phone, e-mail,...

She says she wants things to work out between us [ 22 Answers ]

Okay, my girlfriend of nearly two years broke things off with me about 3 months ago, however, we still continue to see each other once or twice a week. My controlling nature led her to the decision to leave me, however, she now seems to have renewed interest. I have been attending counciling and...

Productive potential [ 1 Answers ]

Define: productive potential

View more questions Search