Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GreenChinchilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
    How do I talk to my mother?
    I'm 17 and having extreme pain during menstruation. The pain is not severe enough that I am not able to do anything but it makes a relaxed day for me difficult.(30 or more minutes of walking.) I usually take 3 doses of Midol or Pain Reliever a day during menstruation.
    Over a year ago I started to develop blood clots and they have gotten increasingly larger over time. They have grown from about the size of a bb to now a dime or a nickel. I know no one can diagnose me, but I need help on how to tell my mother or father. I've explained my pain to my mother, but she seems to think its not serious enough to do anything about. So my main question is, how do I get her to realize that I feel that my situation is more serious than just a normal period?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 7, 2010, 07:56 PM

I moved this from the Relationships forum. I don't know why it was posted there or what it has to do with talking to your mother. The person you need to talk is your doctor or OB-Gyn.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenChinchilla View Post
    I'm 17 and having extreme pain during menstruation. The pain is not severe enough that I am not able to do anything but it makes a relaxed day for me difficult.(30 or more minutes of walking.) I usually take 3 doses of Midol or Pain Reliever a day during menstruation.
    Over a year ago I started to develop blood clots and they have gotten increasingly larger over time. They have grown from about the size of a bb to now a dime or a nickel. I know no one can diagnose me, but I need help on how to tell my mother or father. I've explained my pain to my mother, but she seems to think its not serious enough to do anything about. So my main question is, how do I get her to realize that I feel that my situation is more serious than just a normal period?
    It's not uncommon for periods to be more painful in your teens then when you are older. Some people will find they need a day off from their normal activity due to nausea, cramping, and just feeling crummy. Does the Midol or pain meds help? If so, it is likely just how your periods happen to be. The blood clots, especially if you notice them during a heavier flow, while distressing, are rarely a health concern at that size as well.

Since the situation does cause you concern, speak to your mother again and share that you are worried about it and would like to see the doctor just to be sure all is well.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2010, 08:46 PM

What is it stopping you from just going to the doctor yourself? Don't get me wrong, I think it's good you are comfortable talking to your mother and want her involved. But I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to call the doctor yourself.
    Apple001 Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2010, 06:20 PM

When I was in high school I was in the nurse's office everyday lol. You need to really get your mom alone and tell her because you never know if it's serious or not. I agree with justcurious55 though that you should call a doctor and see what they say. If you're still unsure about that then talk to your school's nurse (sometimes they help... sometimes... ).

But no seriously tell your mom that you're not kidding anymore and if she doesn't think it's serious then tell her fine but you're going to go get checked.

Or ask her if she gets big clotts like that! Show her a freakin quarter and say, "Mom! THis is coming out of me in forms of blood! Tell me what to do then!"

A little dramatic but maybe you can get her attention ;D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't talk to my mother, who can I talk to? - helpline [ 3 Answers ]

I think I have an anger problem, I've researched them and their qualities, I need to talk to someone about it, I can't ask my mum she will just say I'm being silly or its just my imagination, I get so angry over minor things, this lasts too long right now, this has lasted about an hour. My mum is...

How do I talk to my mother? [ 10 Answers ]

I just turned seventeen, but all my life I've had difficulty talking to my mother. She cares, but she's kind of a deadbeat with selfish tendencies. For many years I've been holding in my feelings about how angry she makes me and how much resentment I hold over her parental failures. On the few...

How can I talk to my mother about anything [ 2 Answers ]

I am 13 years old do you think I should have a boyfriend

Shoul I talk to my mother [ 3 Answers ]

I haven't seen my mother in the last 10 years because she traveled to another country to work so my family and I can have a better life, we only talked on the phone, but when I was becoming a teenager I didn't want to talk to her, so I guess I hurt her too many times, when she asked me how I was...

Can't talk to my mother [ 14 Answers ]

I feel like I can't talk to my mother. She yells at me for the littlest things. I scared to talk to her! This isn't how it should be, so I need to know what to do!

View more questions Search