Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zpokey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2010, 10:27 AM
    What to do if toilet flange is above floor for reinstallation of toilet
    Removed toilet that leaked at base. Noticed that plastic mounting flange ibottom is 1/4 in above finished floor making top of flange about 5/8 aove finished floor. Is this why it eventuaslly leaked or is this no problem?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 12:45 PM

Depends on the length of the outlet horn from the toilet and whether it is hitting the floor flange. I've seen many toilets with the flange 1/2" above the floor and the wax ring works fine. You might try to clean out around the ring and put a padded 2X4 on the flange and CAREFULLY tap it with a hammer. If it goes down a little bit, retighten the flange screws and it should be OK. Some times there is a little play in the drains, particularly with PVC. I assume PVC because you mentioned a plastic flange. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you replace a floor flange for a toilet? [ 1 Answers ]

I had a clogged toilet, and using a snake or plunger did not work. I assumed that my five year old had put something in the toilet. I removed the toilet and was shocked that I had roots growing underneath my floor flange and into my drain pipe. Getting the roots out of the drain was a chore, but...

How high should a toilet flange be off the floor? [ 10 Answers ]

I just bought a forclosed house. In the master bath I have a Mansfield 160 toilet that rocks and is leaking water when flushes. When the toilet is level, NO part of the toilet touchs the floor... It basically balances on the flange. I tried the little spacers that you can get at Home Depot /...

Toilet flange above floor level [ 56 Answers ]

I've seen plenty about the opposite problem - maybe this is something less common: my toilet flange is above the anticipated floor level. I recently removed old tile from the bathroom floor, planning to install new tile. In so doing, I discovered that the old tile was set on about 3 inches of...

Toilet flange above the floor line [ 1 Answers ]

We recently installed a new toilet after we remodeled the bathroom. The new flooring is approximately 1/2' lower than the original floor, thus leaving the toilet bowl flange sticking up. Are there "spacers" in the form of a porcelain plate to match the toilet that will allow the toilet bowl to be...

Replacing toilet floor flange [ 3 Answers ]

I was replacing my toilet and found that my flange was rusted so much that I couldn't get the flange bolt on one side to lock into the flange so I must replace the flange. It's made of metal with ABS and obviously is glued into the ABS sewer pipe riser. I'm assuming that I need to get underneath...

View more questions Search