Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RinChitown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Should I request for Validation of debt? Can I still do so after the 30 day expiratio
    Should I request for Validation of debt? Can I still do so after the 30 day expiration? I just learned about this and have the 30 days expired. This is all on Credit Card Debt and the notices are from Debt Collector/ and or Lawyers that are debt collectors. I'm afraid if I request validation of debt it may lead to an immediate action for them to sue me. Thanks all...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 11:58 AM

What 30 day expiration?

If "they" are after you answering is NOT going to cause them to take legal action. If the debt is within the statute they are planning to take legal action.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RinChitown View Post
    Should I request for Validation of debt? Can I still do so after the 30 day expiration?
    Hello R:

For Judy's benefit, at the bottom of the dun letter, the FDCPA requires that a creditor inform a debtor that he has 30 days within which to request validation of the debt. If you let the 30 days expire, the creditor is NOT going to DO what he was required to DO, IF you DIDN'T require him to do it.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 06:35 AM

Ohhhhhh...

Had no idea (obviously). Agree with you. (I must stop paying my bills on time so I have some idea what some of this means.)
    RinChitown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2010, 07:00 AM
    Thanks Excon... since I let the 30 days expire, I guess I could bring up validation if and when they sue...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 07:35 AM

Hello again, R:

You can bring it up, but you missed a PERFECT opportunity. If you read that notice again, (fortunately, I don't have one in front of me), I think it says that if you DON'T request validation, the debt is assumed to be YOURS. That may be, and probably WAS, the one and only time you had to make that claim.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Request for Validation.someone respond [ 4 Answers ]

I have read all of the debt validation information. I sent a letter requesting debt validation, in response all the creditors sent was a copy of the move out statement, no signatures provided. All it states is the original amount owed with my fiancé, her ex and their friend names typed in the...

Length of time to request a validation of debt [ 1 Answers ]

I looked at my credit report recently and saw a couple of negative items on my report. I sent the collection agencies a request for validation the debt. They responded back that it was past the 30 days that I was allowed to respond and that they will keep contacting me about the debt and keep it...

Debt validation after 30 day period to answer has expired [ 4 Answers ]

Is it worth my time to send the collection agency a letter to validate the debt since the 30 day window to respond to the court summons has gone by. I sent a form for them to validate to the court within the period, but they are claiming I never responded. I sure wish I would have stumbled on...

View more questions Search