Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Request for Validation.someone respond
    I have read all of the debt validation information. I sent a letter requesting debt validation, in response all the creditors sent was a copy of the move out statement, no signatures provided. All it states is the original amount owed with my fiancé, her ex and their friend names typed in the "residents" space.

Does this qualify as enough proof that the debt is hers? She never signed the lease.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 30, 2009, 02:39 PM

Hi rome. No one has answered you on this and because I am doing it and it may be wrong, now you will get an answer !

As long as her name is on the lease, even though she didn't sign it, qualifies as her debt as well.

Tick
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2009, 02:44 PM

From what I've been reading, in order to proof that it's her debt they have to provide the original lease with signatures. All they sent us was a paper telling us the balance of the account and the move out statement that was posted on their door.

I'm not trying to avoid paying it, if they can in fact prove that it's her debt, but the statute of limitations ran out 2 years ago and I don't want to pay them if they are just a zombie collections agency looking for an easy payday.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 30, 2009, 02:47 PM

Yes, I see what you mean. Another collection agency buying the debt for so much on the dollar and bugging you - right.

Ignore them, Rome. You are probably right but they will keep trying. I have been there and done that and I can tell you I have a vendetta against them. I hate collection agencies with a passion and have a few long stories of how I treat them and they don't come back. Mine started after my husband did a 'Proposal to Creditors' wherein they all get so much on the dollar and truly went away, but one, TD bank in Toronto Ontario didn't take the offer and hounded us until they sold the debt, statutes kicked in, I got a lawyer, etc. Now in the last month a collection agency has reared up and I sent the letter to my lawyer. He answered it. So far so good. I am not worried.

Tick
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2009, 03:45 PM

Yeah, I am going to send them a letter telling them to take the debt off her credit report per FDCPA rules. If they provided a lease with a signature, I'd have no problem paying it. But a piece of paper saying "Move out Statement" on paper that I could simply copy and erase some fields and put new names in along with a piece of paper saying "You owe this much" simply isn't cutting it for me a sufficient proof that it's a valid debt. She was listed as a resident, but never signed a lease stating it and her ex "took care of the bill" because she moved out 2 months before him and the other resident did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I Respond to Plaintiff Atty Objections to Request for Info [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently fighting Wells Fargo Financial Bank regarding a debt they say I owe. I acknowledge that some of the debt is mine, but no all. I appeared at the pre-trial and the plaintiffs attorney did not. The judge called the plaintiff attorney and conferenced them into the pre-trial...

Length of time to request a validation of debt [ 1 Answers ]

I looked at my credit report recently and saw a couple of negative items on my report. I sent the collection agencies a request for validation the debt. They responded back that it was past the 30 days that I was allowed to respond and that they will keep contacting me about the debt and keep it...

Excel Validation [ 5 Answers ]

I have created a Reimbursement claim form. In this form there are some information has to be filled and based on that some formula is there. I want that if some one fills this then he/she should not leave any required information blank. Informations are like, Emp Code, Name, Dates etc. When...

View more questions Search