Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmehta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 03:49 AM
    My sister is going through a divorce.. can husband evict my parents who are visiting her
    My sister is going through a divorce and my parents have gone to the US to help her through this time... her abusive husband has threatened to get my parents thrown out of the house.. can he do so legally? My sister and her kids are still in the marital home and he has moved out to a condo..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 04:24 AM

Who owns the home? Your sister, the husband, both?

If HE owns it, yes, legally he can evict them as unwanted tenants.

If he files for eviction would HER divorce Attrrney make this cruel and inhuman treatment attempted eviction part of the grounds for divorce? Of course.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2010, 05:16 AM

First, since this is a legal issue its been moved from the Marriage forum.

If they are just visitors and have not been there long an eviction is not applicable. However, whether she is an owner or not, its clear this is the marital home. Therefore, he can't have them thrown out as she has a right to visitors. The fact that he has moved out, strengthens that.

And, as Judy pointed out, her divorce attorney would have a field day with him trying to throw them out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parents visiting US from India and would want to go to UK on their way back [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My parents from India would be visiting me shortly in US. On their way back to India, they want to stop over in UK for few days. What visas would be required for them? To visit UK do they have to get any visa from India, or do they have to get the Visa from US? Please reply

Visiting visa for my sister [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on h1b visa, I want take my sister to USA. Can I bring her on tourist visa? My friends are saying only I can bring my parents but not sister or brother. Please advise me. Thanks in advance, Santhosh kumar

Can visiting parents be claimed as dependents [ 9 Answers ]

Can parents on visitor visa lived in usa for 170 days in yr 2006 be claimed as dependent for yr 2006 If yes now can I sumit their form w-7 application for itin along with my form 1040 in April 2007 if they are back to india currently?

Puppies visiting parents [ 3 Answers ]

We are friends with the people from whom we got our pup... is it a good idea to take him when visiting or can upset the mother/pup doing this?

View more questions Search