Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harvestnet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
    Can a 20 amp fuse be use on 14 gauge knob & tube wire for airconditioner?
    Can a 20 amp fuse be use on 14 gauge knob & tube wire for air conditioner? The 15 amp fuse breaker pops after use for an hour or two?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 03:45 PM

NO! 14ga wire requires 15 amp protection, not 20 amp. Over-fusing a circuit could very easily lead to wiring overheating, and that can cause an electrical fire. Try eliminating other loads from that circuit, or run a new circuit with the proper wire and ampacity.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2010, 05:32 PM

Noting that it is knob and tube tells me you have a very old house. Insulation breaks down, wire connections get oxidized. How many watts does the AC draw, it should be on the device plate? 15 Amps may be satisfactory for the AC depending on the wattage but you may have other devices on the tlne too. Do not put a 20 Amp breaker in.
    vandallen Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

May 14, 2013, 11:27 AM
    You should use 12 gauge wire.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
    All above is good advice. The least you shold do is a dedicated 20 amp circuit using #12's as mentioned.
    It is cheaper than replacing everything(fire). The voltage was likely dropping as well, which is not good for the AC.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
    You should use 12 gauge wire.
    Was this that important that you needed to make this suggestion nearly three years after the OP posted?

Besides, it's old knob and tube. I have a feeling it is already in place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire gauge & breaker amp for A/C [ 3 Answers ]

Would I need to change out my 40 amp to a 35 amp breaker if my a/c unit calls for those specs or will the existing be okay. Oh yea 10G wire is in place now. I'm talking about a 3 ton heat pump split unit.

Can you put in 15 amp outlets with 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

Can you put in 15 amp outlets with 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit these are just regular household outlets not used for dryers or refrigerator. Or should I replace with 20 amp outlets

Knob & tube [ 6 Answers ]

I have an old house (1865) and it has knob & tube wiring. I have a fluorescent kitchen light with an older flip switch which goes up or down. It is a three way, with a switch on each side of the kitchen, and I have to flip the switch several times for it to come on. My question is can this be...

Knob & Tube [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my bathroom. Home built in the 50's with existing knob and tube. Bathroom has power coming into 1 switch that controls lighted medicine cabinet with outlet inside cabinet. Want to add 1 new light fixture, 1 GFI, and 1 ceiling fan (no light). Is there any diagram that...

Knob & Tube wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do u tell which is the Hot on K&T How do u tell which is the neutral on K&T Thanks rrhaen Any help I thank

View more questions Search