Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flourcollie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 10:48 AM
    Lost Passport / Name Changed / Expires Soon
    Hello. I got my American Passport in 2001. At the time, I had just gotten married, so I had my married name put onto the passport. I never officially changed my name. Now, I am divorced, unfortunately, and have not used my married name in about 7 years. My maiden name is on my social security card, birth certificate, driver's license, and just about anything I have ever done/had.

I noticed that to get my name changed on my passport, it says to provide documentation proving I legally changed my name. But I had never changed my name to my married name (so never changed it "back).

The other major issue is that I lost my passport. I lost it in my storage somewhere, but countless searches have not turned it up.

I believe it is set to expire in 2011.

How do I get a replacement passport with my maiden name? Eesh.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 11:03 AM

What did you show as ID when you got the FIRST passport? I work under my maiden name, use my married name for all other purposes. My ID is in my married name so that's on my passport. You must have had SOME ID in your married name - ?

What does your marriage license say? Mine says I have taken my husband's last name; therefore, that is my last name. If we divorce, then I would ask for my maiden name back OR continue using my married name. Either way, it would be in my divorce papers.

I cannot for any legal purpose use my previous name because it is no longer my legal name.

If you don't know when your passport expires you would have to ask and your record would have to be located. In the meantime you could apply for a duplicate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 11:55 AM

Yes for it to be in your married name back in 2001 you had to have some ID in your married name?

Your divorce papers will show that you were married and divorced, thus changing your name back.

You get the form to renew and fill it out and send it in for the best you can
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 11:00 PM

Other than ID that you previously submitted, simply add copy of divorce decree, when you apply for new passport.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to travel to fiji in April 2010 but my passport expires August 2010 is this OK [ 1 Answers ]

I want to travel to fiji in April 2010 but my passport expires August 2010 is this OK

Lost Passport with no details of previous passport--Very important [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, What can be done when a passport is lost and no details regarding the previous passport ios available?? The FIR from the police station was produced at the regional passport office but we got a response saying that another passport cannot be issued if the details of previous passport are...

W7 - ITIN - Passport - Changed Last Name [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1b and my wife is on H4, my wife came to USA immediately after marriage, her passport was in her maiden name and visa is also in her maiden name, after coming to usa we got a new passort for her from indian embassy in USA with the changed last name, now 1 ) which passport copy...

Upon renewing my US passport I have noticed that the number has changed why? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a house in another country with my old passport and now that the number on my new passport is different I am having trouble with the foreign country stating that my documentation is incorrect,

View more questions Search