Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reggier18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 01:06 PM
    I got a first offender pardon what does it mean?
    I got a first offender pardon in the mail my time was not up and I had to pay resisitution. I didn't commit the charge but the courts needed an conviction so the got one. Now I'm trying to be a cop.. I'm getting different answers from everyone I want to know is the charge still on my record are did they finally took the time out to look at my charge and pardon me from all charges... what is a first offender pardon,. I got all my rights back and everything so can someone please help me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 03:04 PM

Only you know what the deal was. And the terms vary on meaning depending on location.

Normally the first offender programs merely leave the charges open till you finish your program and then they dismiss the charges, so there is no formal conviction.

A pardon normally means they found you guilty or you plead guilty and after the program they gave you a pardon for the crime.

In most cases, such information about your court case would not be known, But the police report they run will see about the charges, the plea, and the sentence and the pardon.

Also you will normally have to take a polygraph about any crimes you did. This job is one of the few jobs that let them ask you about crimes you did that you were not even caught.

Also was it a felony or a misdemeanor.
    Xanvel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 01:00 PM
    In the State Of Louisiana, first time felony offenders are often eligiable for a First Offender Pardon. However, the felony will still be on your record. And that will bar you from being a police officer, or a doctor, or a paramedic. You will need a Governor's pardon, and for that you will have to go through the parole/probation board, get a favorable recommendation, and pray that the Governor will sign it. This is the only way that will totally restore you to the status of innocent... If the offense was a misdemeanor, then you were likely given (again in Louisiana) an Article 894, which restores you to innocence and sets the conviction aside. You must make sure that it is removed(expunged) from your record BEFORE you apply for the police department, as they can use that to disqualify you. And finally, I haven't known too many departments to use a polygraph, as they are not admissible in court, but there is an psychiatric exam given in a lot of departments, and a thorough background check. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My first offender's pardon [ 3 Answers ]

Two years ago I plead guilty in order to receive deferred adjudication and would'nt be charged with the felony. Upon completion I received a First offender's Pardon, but the felony is evidently still on my record as told by employers. Why is this?

First time offender pardon [ 2 Answers ]

What steps do I take to go purchase a fire arm legally; since I have my rights back as a citizen of Louisiana?

Pardon Process [ 6 Answers ]

What is the process of getting a pardon?

First time pardon [ 2 Answers ]

As my first time felon offender is there a way I can get it removed and what is the pardon do for me..

Trying to get an apartment with a pardon? [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend is trying to move out on her own, an she is having a problem due to her stupid, past legal problems. In 1999, she plead guilty to possession with intent to sell, she says that she took te rap for everyone and that's why the charged her with "intent to sell," but that really doesn't...

View more questions Search