Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thebunnyhunter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 05:44 PM
    When 18 can a person leave a place like Girls and Boy Town?
    I have a sister who recently turned 18 and is in Girls and Boy Town of Missouri. She was placed in foster care then was placed in that facilty. She was in there to regain custody of her son but recently she found out that she could not get her son back so she left. She is 18 but when she left that place the police were looking for her. So can she leave of her own will?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 05:47 PM

Depends on the custody relationship that the Girl/Boy town had.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 07:37 PM
    We are all adults in the US at the age of 18 and are free to live where we wish.

There can be exceptions. A person's freedom to go and live where they choose can be limited if they pose a safety risk to themselves or others, are deemed mentally incompetent (unable to make decisions for themselves and/or care for themselves), or if they are convicted of some crimes (jail or probation). YOu mention she had legal trouble. Is she in trouble for leaving the home, or for some crime she committed? And is she in trouble for leaving Girls Town or for avoiding a court date or violating probation terms?

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2010, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    We are all adults in the US at the age of 18 and are free to live where we wish.

There can be exceptions. A person's freedom to go and live where they choose can be limited if they pose a safety risk to themselves or others, are deemed mentally incompetent (unable to make decisions for themselves and/or care for themselves), or if they are convicted of some crimes (jail or probation). YOu mention she had legal trouble. Is she in trouble for leaving the home, or for some crime she committed? And is she in trouble for leaving Girls Town or for avoiding a court date or violating probation terms?

The age of majority is not 18 in all States - there are exceptions where it is 19 or 21. Missouri is NOT one of the exceptions.

A person's freedom can only be limited if a Court decides it is necessary and appropriate.

This facility - Girls and Boys Town of Missouri - is not a foster care facility; it is described as follows: "Children must be referred to Boys & Girls Town of Missouri by the Department of Social Services Children's Division, the Department of Mental Health, the Division of Youth Services, the juvenile court system, private insurance companies, and parents. It would appear that OP's sister had to be referred to the facility, very possibly by the Court, and that is why they are looking for her after she left without permission.

This is - to a large extent - a mental health facility geared toward children and young adults.

http://www.bgtm.org/admissions/faqs.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A guy travels with the bodies of dead soldiers to the place of buriel or home town [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie about a soldier that travels with the bodies of dead soldiers to the place of buriel or home town

What state,city or town is best place for drywall jobs? [ 4 Answers ]

Looking for work in drywall just don't personally know where the best place is so I figured I would network.

About girls (I am 16-boy) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I was born in May 1993 , that makes me about 15-16.I am a boy and I live in Greece,Athenes,this is where I was born. 3 years ago I went to a school that I almost knew nobody (instead of going to the school I would be with all my friends and probably be the most popular guy and all -but...

Boy have I ever missed this place! [ 7 Answers ]

Well, good news is I finally secured employment today. I don't know if the new job will allow me the amount of time to be Here that the old one did, but I am really relieved to be employed again! To top it off, I managed to find a position that pays more than the one I lost. Thanks to...

View more questions Search