Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrshodges Posts: 208, Reputation: 34

Jul 4, 2010, 08:30 AM
    Forms of Birth Control
    These are just about all the methods of Birth control. The only method that prevents pregnancy 100% is ABSTINENCE. Other methods used correctly may have a greater chance to prevent pregnancy than no method.

Abstinence:

As a means of contraception, abstinence is the voluntary refraining from sexual activity.
    Abstinence is the only contraceptive method that is 100% effective in the prevention of both pregnancy and the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.

Fertility Awareness Method: Natural Family Planning (NFP):

Fertility awareness method is also known as Natural Family Planning and it is commonly called NFP.
    NFP does not rely on devices or medications to prevent pregnancies.
    NFP is a contraceptive method that uses the natural functions of your body and your menstrual cycle to calculate ovulation. The most common features of NFP involve recording of your body temperature and changes in your cervical mucus each day.
    NFP requires periodic abstinence (approximately 7 to 10 days) during the ovulation period. Some women choose to use a barrier method during this time frame.

Barrier Methods: Devices

Barrier or device methods of contraceptives are physical or chemical barriers designed to stop sperm from entering a woman's uterus.

Male Condom:

The male condom is a tube of thin material (latex rubber) that is rolled over the erect penis prior to contact with the vagina.
    The male condom is the most common barrier method.

Female Condom:

The female condom is a seven-inch long pouch of polyurethane with two flexible rings and is inserted into the vagina prior to intercourse.
    The female condom covers the cervix, vaginal canal, and the immediate area around the vagina.

Spermicides:

Spermicides are chemicals that are designed to kill sperm.
    Spermicide chemicals are available as foam, jelly, foaming tablets and vaginal suppositories.

Diaphragm:

The diaphragm is a soft rubber dome stretched over a flexible ring; the dome is filled with a spermicidal cream or jelly.
    The diaphragm is inserted into the vagina and placed over the cervix no more than 3 hours prior to intercourse.

Cervical Cap:

The cervical cap is a small cup made of latex rubber or plastic.
    The cervical cap is filled with a spermicidal cream or jelly and inserted into the vagina and placed over the cervix.

Contraceptive Sponge:

The contraceptive sponge is a soft saucer-shaped device made from polyurethane foam.

Hormonal Methods:

Whether administered as a pill, patch, shot, ring or implant, hormone medications contain manufactured forms of the hormones estrogen and/or progesterone. Hormonal methods work in one of three ways: 1) preventing a woman's ovaries from releasing an egg each each month; 2) causing the cervical mucus to thicken making it harder for sperm to reach and penetrate the egg; 3) thinning the lining of the uterus which reduces the likelihood that a fertilized egg will implant in the uterus wall. Hormonal contraceptives do NOT protect against the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.

Birth Control Pills:

Birth control pills are taken daily as prescribed by your healthcare provider.

Depo-Provera:

Depo-Provera is an injection given by your health care provider that prevents pregnancy for three months.

Lunelle:

Lunelle is an injection given by your health care provider that prevents pregnancy for one month.

NuvaRing/Vaginal Ring:

NuvaRing, or vaginal ring, is a flexible ring that is inserted into the vagina for three weeks, removed for one week, and then replaced with a new ring.
    The ring releases estrogen and progesterone into your body.

Ortho Evra Patch/Birth Control Patch:

The birth control patch is placed directly on the skin with the hormones built into the sticky side of the patch.
    Each week for the first three weeks a patch is placed on the hip, buttocks or upper arm.
    The fourth week you are free from the patch allowing for a menstrual period.

Intrauterine Device (IUD):

The IUD is a small plastic device containing copper or hormones and is inserted into the uterus by a medical professional.
    The IUD does not stop the sperm from entering into the uterus, but rather it changes cervical mucus decreasing the probability of fertilization and it changes the lining of the uterus preventing implantation should fertilization occur.

Withdrawal & Sterilization:

Neither withdrawal nor sterilizations prevent transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.

Withdrawal:

Withdrawal involves the removal of the erect penis from the vagina prior to ejaculation. This method does NOT prevent pregnancy.

Sterilization:

Female:

Sterilization involves the surgical closing of the fallopian tubes which carry the eggs from the ovaries to the uterus.
    This procedure is a tubal ligation.

Male:

Sterilization involves the surgical closing of tubes that carry sperm.
    This procedure is a vasectomy .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 08:43 AM

While great information, where is a question ? This is a question and answer site,

Jul 4, 2010, 08:50 AM

No question just an awnser for a lot of questions. It seems like there is a lot of people who don't know about birth control. So here it is.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    While great information, where is a question ? this is a question and answer site,
    Uhm...

So...

All that had to be done was to place a staged rhetorical question in the subject line like "What kinds of birth control are available?" and this wouldn't be an issue apparently?

So... get busy posting the same noise on the following stickies that also have good info, but don't form the answer in the form of a question. Sorry mr trebeck.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/womens...ert-53865.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/corpor...ent-31058.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ve-376233.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/skin-c...ns-205596.html

Et cetera, ad nauseum...

*sigh*
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 10:32 PM
    And thank you, mrshodges, for posting info that sticky. The only thing I wouldve added is estimated % effectiveness with perfect and imperfect use.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 05:23 AM

KP--As Mrs Hodges is NOT a moderator, she couldn't have made this post into a sticky.

So--it was put out there FIRST as a question, and then made into a sticky afterwards.

Jul 17, 2010, 10:58 AM

Nope it wasn't a question. There just seems to be so many people who don't know anout birth control. It does need to be posted in the pregnancy and women's health bords though.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 11:17 AM

I would like to know WHO made it a sticky!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I had that same question.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 12:36 PM

On the new skin (? ) and this one (? ), anyone can make a sticky by starting a new thread and following instructions ("Close this thread....") at the bottom of the screen. At least that's what I was told a couple of weeks ago.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 01:15 AM
    Hi, mrshodges!

Thanks for posting the information!

You did a great job! :)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 10:25 AM
    Wasn't me! If this is a function of the new skin, it needs to be taken away, though.

Jul 20, 2010, 08:58 AM

I didn't make it a sticky. Don't even know how to.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 09:18 AM

We are just curious who did!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
    We are just curious who did!
    It's a mystery. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taken off birth control, possibly conceived, back on birth control? [ 9 Answers ]

So, the day my period ended I ended up having unprotected sex, and a week later started feeling really sick to my stomach, I could smell everything, I had horrible headaches, I couldn't find anything I wanted to eat, I was moody all the time, all the typical signs, except no missed period. I took a...

Different forms of birth control [ 2 Answers ]

I actually have 2 questions that are related... I have had an unidentified vaginal pain for the past 2 years making sex impossible, It's basically a patch of skin just inside my vaginal opening that is excrutiatingly painful to touch and penetration is a big no-no. It does not hurt any other...

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Did two forms of birth control not work? [ 7 Answers ]

Pretty much me and the guy I am dating had sex a few weeks ago and the condom broke :( Luckily for me I AM on birth control, Necon 1/35... I have gotten my period but it is WAY lighter than it is even when it is light, and lasted for barely 3 days. I am 22, and am not exactly ignorant to...

View more questions Search