Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    get64124 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 06:14 AM
    Do I have rights to refuse the showing of my place while I am still a tenant?
    I am a renter in Missouri, my lease is up at the end of next month and my landlord is asking about when it is okay to show my place to perspective tenants. My place is filled with all of my personal effects and valuables. My question is do I have any right that allows me to refuse the showing of my place while I am still a tenant since I do not feel comfortable with strangers coming into my home and looking around at all of my stuff?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2010, 06:18 AM

Hello g:

Your landlord has the right to enter your apartment with reasonable notice. That means you can REFUSE his visit if you happen to have a naked dinner scheduled for that time.

I'd request that he NOT show the apartment while you're NOT there. If he refuses, you can tell him that you'll leave it so screwed up, that NOBODY will rent it.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 07:28 AM

Reread your lease, it likely spells out exactly what you can and cannot do in this situation. Most leases allow him to show the place with an appointment.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    ... I'd request that he NOT show the apartment while you're NOT there. If he refuses, you can tell him that you'll leave it so screwed up, that NOBODY will rent it.
    No need to have an attitude. LL asked when it would be OK to show the place. As excon indicated, LL has the right to show it upon reasonable notice. Simply tell LL when would be convenient for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a father refuse him parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter's father comes to visit her once a year around her B-day, and rarely calls. He is on the birth certificate, and she has his last name, but we were never married. When she was around two we went our different ways. He never wanted us to remain as a family. I filled for the child support,...

Rights of tenant when place is a mess when moving in [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting ready to move out of a rental. The landlord is selling the property and is being threatening to us. They stated "Concerning the sale of the property: Please be aware that we have filled out all the seller disclosure document fully and truthfully so you do not need to feel obligated...

Can tenant in Las Vegas, Nev. Refuse to show house before she moves out? [ 3 Answers ]

We have a tenant that is in the military and is being reasigned to a different base of operation. She did pay her rent on time and did give us 45 days notice of breaking her lease, but is refusing to let us show the house until she is gone. There would always be an agent with any perspective...

Tenant is kicking me out, I am not on the lease, can I refuse? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, thanks in advance for your reply, this is my case: I live with the tenant and 6 more roommates, I am not in the lease, it was just a verbal agreement. I've been living in this house for already a year, the house has a porch where I always keep my skis but this afternoon they were gone, so...

Showing unit to perspective tenant [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question with regards to showing a unit to a perspective tenant after the current tenant (i.e house roommates) has given notice to move. I was at my rental unit making repairs to a kitchen floor (I had given 30-days notice of entry -- PLENTY of time). While I was repairing the floor, a...

View more questions Search