Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greencup Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 12:39 PM
    Connecting a light to a ceiling fan
    I'm connecting a light to an existing ceiling fan. I've wired the light to the fan via two wires (black and white). The fan still works, but the light does not.
    I removed the switch plate from the wall and discovered an extra red wire that is not connected to anything. I suspect I need to connect this red wire to get the ceiling fan light to work - however I'm not sure how to connect it. I have two switches behind this wall plate - one is a switch that slides up and down in three positions to control the speed of the fan. The other switch controls outlets in the room for lamps. What should I do with the extra red wire?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 23, 2010, 01:03 PM

If the fan worked off that black and white then the light should too. However they will always work together, both on or off. Did you splice in your light blue and white to the fans black and white using a wire nut?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2010, 01:13 PM

Did you open the fan at the ceiling and see how it was wired?

When you wired the light at the bottom of the fan, did you connect it to white and blue.

Ceiling Fan Wiring, Ceiling Fan Wiring Technical Help, Do it Yourself (DIY) - Ceiling Fans N More

Jun 23, 2010, 02:01 PM
    Comment on ceilingfanrepair's post
    Yes, the black wire on the light was connected to a blue wire on the fan that was labeled for future light connection.
    I did not open the fan at the ceiling to see how it was wired. I only removed the bottom of the fan to connect the light.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2010, 07:18 PM

You will need to open the fan at the ceiling, and see what the blue wire is connected to.

Please respond to the thread rather than comment to the post, otherwise I might not see it.

Jun 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Thanks for the responses. I got the light working properly, but now the fan makes a clicking noise. Any thoughts? Could that happen if I didn't tuck all the wires back neatly?
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 11:01 PM

It could, that would be the first thing to check.

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

How to install a ceiling fan with a light and switch controlling the light and fan [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've read so many posts, but can't figure this out. (don't laugh) At the switch: The wiring from the wall has RED, BLACK, and GROUND (bare). The switch is a dimmer for both the fan and light. Wires are BLUE, RED, and BLACK. SO, how do I hook this up? At the fan: The wiring from...

Connecting separate switches for a ceiling fan / light [ 5 Answers ]

I am wanting to put in separate switches to control the light and fan on my ceiling fixture. Is there any way to do this without using a dimmer type control?

Connecting ceiling fan and light to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

The wall switch for my ceiling fan recently broke (it wouldn't change the speed of the fan anymore), so I bought a new one. The fan also has a light. The new wall switch instructions simply say to connect the blue wire to the fan red to the light, black to the HOT. Then the diagram shows a neutral...

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

View more questions Search