Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmatthews80 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2010, 10:41 AM
    Removing faucet angle supply compression valve, hot water question
    Hey, so I need to replace some crappy supply stop valves as a consequence of trying to replace a bathroom faucet. I'd like to only inconvenience myself as little as possible at the moment, so I'd like to just do the "hot" side first. Another problem here is that I don't know where the house's main water shutoff valve is (but could do some more looking on this).

To simplify things and make sure I can get the right stuff, I was thinking I'd like to remove just the hot side's angle stop valve (which I believe is a compression type). Before I do that though, I'm wondering the easiest way to "run out" of hot water. I can shutoff the hot water heater's supply valve, but should I also flip the breaker on the water heater when I do that so it doesn't burn out from being "dry" and on or something? Or is that no worry?

Thanks in advance,
    Josh
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 11:05 AM

Hello Josh,
    First try to locate the main supply S/O valve, or close the S/O valve at the city water meter , also if you close the cold water supply to the water heater will work too and you don't have to flip the breaker, to replace the compression type angle valve see the image below, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Jun 21, 2010, 11:35 AM

Very cool John, thank you for the excellent image as well! Indeed I think it would be best to just bite the bullet and shut the water off at house's main valve, I guess I'll just have to track that thing down.

Also, from your image there, it looks almost like the compression fitting (if that's even the right term) that goes onto the copper tube - the thing pointed at by the top blue arrow of the two on the bottom-right of the image) may actually allow the rest of the valve assembly to be detached? I'm wondering because I'd think that would be #1 on the tube part of the image above - so does that actually not come off when the rest of the valve is taken off? (that would be cool, because there's like 1" or so of pipe behind it, coming out of the wall.. I could probably replace the "#1" that's on there now if it unscrews, but there's just NOT much room to work with here).

Thanks again,
    Josh
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 12:32 PM

When you loosen the #1 the nut stays with pipe you don't need to replace the nut just the angle valve, buy a new angle valve see the image below, remove the nut from the new one and install it on the pipe you will be OK, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Jun 21, 2010, 01:08 PM

Very cool indeed, John. I think I located the house's valve... but I KNOW I found a crawlspace down stairs! Thanks for all the help - I'm so far ahead of schedule on this project that I obviously had some time to kill... obviously ;)

JM
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Hot Water Supply Valve [ 10 Answers ]

The silver knob where you can turn off the hot water supply to the bathroomsink is leaking. I have inspected and the brass fitting that supplies the flexible line to the faucet is not leaking. The stream is where it looks like the phillips head screw attaches the silver on/off knob. How do I repair...

Removing Compression Valve [ 4 Answers ]

Valve leaking under kitchen sink. Attached to copper with compression valve. When I try to remove it just spins in circle. Can I get it off without cutting it? (There isn't much pipe sticking out of the wall).

Bad Faucet or Water Supply Valve? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a one-handle bathroom sink faucet (Moen, original to the house, 12 years old). In the last few weeks, I noticed the faucet drips, so I put a bucket under it to see the volume. After about 10 hours, I was getting a liter or more of water. Having no plumbing knowledge (and my father...

Removing Compression Straight Style Supply Valve [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My cold water is leaking from the bottom of the compression valve (where it is attached to the pipe). I want to remove it, but it looks like it is glued onto the copper pipe. How would I go about this. The Compression Fitting doesn't not have a nut on the bottom which is attached to the...

Replacing hot water angle stop to shut off valve [ 5 Answers ]

My angle stop seems to be soldered to copper piping. How do I change it to keep the hot water shut oof valve from leaking water when turned off?

View more questions Search