Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enozo73 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Leaking Hot Water Supply Valve
    The silver knob where you can turn off the hot water supply to the bathroomsink is leaking. I have inspected and the brass fitting that supplies the flexible line to the faucet is not leaking. The stream is where it looks like the phillips head screw attaches the silver on/off knob. How do I repair this leak? I am a new home owner and not at all experienced at home repairs. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 09:20 AM

If you remove that screw the handle will come off and better reveal the nut around the stem. The packing below the nut may be worn and you just need to tighten the nut to compress the packing. Usually just a 1/8 or 1/4 turn is plenty.

Sep 3, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    If you remove that screw the handle will come off and better reveal the nut around the stem. The packing below the nut may be worn and you just need to tighten the nut to compress the packing. usually just a 1/8 or 1/4 turn is plenty.
    THANKS! That stopped that leak!
    Now to try and stop the constant drip from hot water from faucet...

Sep 3, 2009, 09:57 AM

The drip is another matter. I can help with that because its either a worn washer or a leaky cartridge, any idea of what you have?

Sep 3, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Hot Water won't stop dripping.
    I have tried to stop the constant drip from the hot water in the bathroom and all I have done is make it worse. The plastic spin piece that is supposed to stop water flow turns in either direction and never completely stops water flow unless I push down on it.
    Isn't this piece supposed to have a stop point like the cold water side? Is it time for a new faucet? This one is about 20 years old and I can't even find one that looks similar on the internet. It is a Peerless two handle centerset faucet that is part metal and wood accents. So old can't find a photo and Peerless wants a model number to help me and I do not have that or know how to get it. What should I do?
    Thanks.

Sep 3, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    The drip is another matter. I can help with that because its either a worn washer or a leaky cartridge, any idea of what you have?
    I started another thread for the drip... THANKS!

Sep 3, 2009, 10:25 AM

Shut off your supply under the sink for both hot and cold. Remove the handle and the escutcheon if there is one. Should be a nut or collar with tw flat sides so you can get a wrench on it. Remove nut and tell us if you have a valve stem or cartrdige. BTW sometimes that nut (bonnet) will be smooth and should not be scratched so you migh have to resort to a strap wrench.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 12:25 PM

Enozo,

You don't have to start another post, just respond to Ballengerb question he is asking what you have, means the brand and the model number of your faucet, or is it single handle or two handle, Tthanks.

John

Sep 3, 2009, 12:41 PM

You are correct John but by the time I read his post #5 the new thread was already running. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ng-393152.html
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 03:30 PM

Yes Bob I saw that too, Thanks.

John

Sep 3, 2009, 05:09 PM

I think it is a valve stem. Since cartridge implies it would come out. I removed two thin nuts exposing all of the shaft and/or valve stem. It is all plastic. The handle is screwed into the valve stem with a Phillips head screw. Thing that gets me is its all plastic. The hot will never shut off 100% but the cold has a stop point and water ceases flowing. Hot will turn in both directions allowing water to always flow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supply line leaking at comp fitting on sink shutoff valve [ 5 Answers ]

I'm using the armored flexible water supply lines for my kitchen sink's faucet. The 3/8 fitting attached to the cold water shut-off valve under the sink is dripping. The flex hose's 3/8 connection end has a rubber washer inside the nut that comes into contact with the face of the compression nipple...

Leaking washing machine water supply shut off valve [ 8 Answers ]

How do you repair a water supply valve that is leaking. It is the valve that connects the water supply to my washing machine. The leak occurs when I shift the lever from off to on and vice versa.

Water supply valve leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Friends- I asked about water supply valve leaking a couple of weeks ago. Just got to repairing it. With some difficulty I got the packing around the stem and wonder of wonders the valve does not leak. Thank you. However, when I turned on the water supply to the house (There was no other turn...

Water supply valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Friends- An indoor water supply valve to an outdoor spicket is leaking around the base of the stem when I open the valve to use the outdoor faucet. Is it most likely from a deteriorated washer or O-ring? Is this corrected by turning off the house water supply, opening the outdoor faucet to...

View more questions Search