Jun 20, 2010, 08:33 AM
    Is the return air duct suppose to have suction to take hot air out
    Is there suppose to be suction from the return air duct to take out hot air
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron128 View Post
    Is there suppose to be suction from the return air duct to take out hot air
    It does not actually take out the hot air but it draws in the warm air so the evaporator/cooling coil can do its job by removing the heat and moisture and return the conditioned air back into the dwelling/business. Yes there will be a air draw into the return air opening.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2010, 09:32 AM
    Something very light like a tissue or paper towel held close to the return will show you if there is suction

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ducted heating - hot air does not blow (only room temprature air blows through duct) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I have an old ducted heater (gas) located outside my house. Not sure of the name only could see a sticker saying Southern Heating. The thermostat inside the house is like a dial, make is honeywell. When I set the thermostat any where from 15 degrees to 30 degrees, I can hear the...

Return Air Duct not sealed [ 3 Answers ]

I was told by a home inspector that the two return air ducts in the house are not sealed properly. Can any body let me know how to go about getting this fixed, what the costs might be. One is on the first floor and one is on the second floor. Thanks

Cold return air duct [ 2 Answers ]

Because the egress windows from the basement will not be large enough for the fresh air requirement, I have to install a ventilation return duct from outside. How do I go about doing this? My local Lowe's only appeared to have exhausts, but no intakes. It also needs to be 6", so I can't modify a...

Loud Return Air Duct [ 1 Answers ]

I have a forced hot air furnace, installed in September 2002, located in the basement. The blower motor is belt driven, single speed. While the blower is running it you can hear it all over the house. The return air grill is located out side of a bedroom and during the night when the blower comes...

Return Air Duct [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a townhome. It has 2 air conditioning units. I don't know what brand they are. The upstairs does not cool very well. It is always warmer than downstairs. The return air unit is in the storage closed downstairs. There are 2 return air ducts. The one downstairs was covered up behind...

View more questions Search