Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    francoa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 02:18 PM
    What happens to the waste products from the Bunsen burners flame?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 08:46 AM

What do you think are the waste products?

A bunsen burner uses hydrocarbons as fuel (that is molecules containing carbon and hydrogen only).

Can you write an equation for the reaction? If so, I'm sure you can find the answer as to where the wastes go.

Post your answer! :)
    leif_erikson Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2010, 07:54 PM

The waste goes off as carbon dioxide gas and water vapor. Those are the completely oxidized forms of carbon and hydrogen atoms which are found in hydrocarbon fuel. If you were to completely isolate an bunsen flame on a mass balance, you'd find that the mass increases as the flame burns longer and longer. That's because more and more waste gas accumulates. (well, if it's a closed vessel, then that means that oxygen will eventually run out and the flame will stop burning)
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by leif_erikson View Post

If you were to completely isolate an bunsen flame on a mass balance, you'd find that the mass increases as the flame burns longer and longer. That's because more and more waste gas accumulates.

Now you got me curious on that part you said. What do you exactly mean by isolating the Bunsen flame on a mass balance?

Jun 26, 2010, 05:26 PM

"Completely isolating the bunsen fame on a mass balance".

A mass balance is a type of device for measuring the mass of an object.

Try to picture this, you have a very large container on a balance which gives a readout of whatever mass is on it. Let's say that you put a large container on the balance. Inside that container is a bunsen burner and a propane tank. When you allow the flame to burn, it will produce carbon dioxide and water. These gases will escape into the atmosphere around the flame. However because the container is closed, the mass remains constant as the reaction progresses. If you open the container, the gases will escape into the actual atmosphere and therefore, mass is being lost from the system. (which in this case is the container)

The example that I used in my previous post assumed that there was a bunsen flame inside of a closed container that was connected to a propane tank outside of the container. In that case, more propane (with mass) enters the system but is unable to leave after it is burned. Therefore the mass of the system within the container increases with time.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 04:54 AM

Ok, I was making sure that I understood what you meant.

On one hand, it's not that practical, because the mass will first increase, then stop as less and less oxygen is available for combustion.

On the other hand, if the container is not closed, the mass will remain constant (or rise at first, then reach a constant value) throughout as the waste gases will always be removed.

Well, the OP did not come back to answer the questions I asked him/her to help him/her understand the problem... Ok, here's how to test for the predicted gases.

Well, we know that a bunsen burner burns LPG, which are hydrocarbons. The equation is, in the case of methane:

The only products on complete combustion are carbon dioxide and water. We can then put an inverted funnel, sufficiently large to put in the Bunsen burner and its flame. A small space at the bottom of the funnel should be left though, to allow oxygen to enter the funnel to be burnt.

We then link the upper part of the funnel to a tube, to the other end of which we place just under the surface of a beaker containing lime water. The observation is that the lime water will turn milky, showing the presence of carbon dioxide in the gas evolved.

We can also stuff some anhydrous white copper (II) sulfate or anhydrous blue cobalt (II) chloride into the tube. If they turn blue, or pink depending on what you use, then, it means that water was present in the air.

Now, to answer the question, all the waste products, being gases, will go into the atmosphere.

Jun 29, 2010, 05:10 PM

Yes, you are completely right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beckett burner starts has flame for about 15 seconds off for 12 then flame on & runs [ 7 Answers ]

I have replaced the following with the problem still happening: replaced the primary control(R8184G 4009), cad cell--the oil unit was service at the beginning of the heating season. Ran like a champ. Now for the past two weeks with new parts the problem is: Oil burner starts with a flame for...

What happens to the waste products from the Bunsen burner's flame? [ 1 Answers ]

What happens to the waste products from the Bunsen burner's flame?

My pilot is fine but no flame off the burners [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I have an older model furnace model Armstrong gas EG6G125DC20-2 forced air furnace. I notice the blower will run when the thermostat is turned to the desired heat, there is clicking on the unit as if the gas valve wants to open or it is calling for heat, but after a few try's the burners...

What is material composition of product family in relation to solid waste products [ 1 Answers ]

Am an online student doing distance learning education with ecampus-unesco-ihe.org on solid waste management and engineering thank you for your support and help. Ayiga dominic. Question: What is the broad material composition of the Product Family this question is an assignment to be submited...

Connecting second floor waste to main waste stack? [ 3 Answers ]

I have new new modular cape that had the first floor plumbing complete, and the second floor stubbed, and want to know the right way to connect the second floor waste drain which was installed in the house, to the main waste drain. The main waste drain comes up verically from the basement floor...

View more questions Search