Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hunnybee_420 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 01:22 PM
    New To Gardening, Plants Dying
    I planted my very first garden last Saturday, some plants some seeds and have been watering it in the am and pm as I was told to do but it seems that all the plants are dying. They are all somewhat limp with yellowing leaves and I don't know what to do or what I am doing wrong. Can someone please give me some ideas fast because I will be so sad if nothing grows... :(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 02:03 PM

Too much water, possibly not planted deep enough. I would go with too much water basically. Not necessary to water in AM. Water is stored up overnight from dew, etc. Only water after sun goes down.

Tick

Jun 9, 2010, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Too much water, quite possibly not planted deep enough. I would go with too much water basically. Not necessary to water in AM. Water is stored up overnight from dew, etc. Only water after sun goes down.

tick
    ~ Thanks for the advice I was just looking online and you are right I might not have planted them deep enough... might they be OK, can I replant them since it's been less than a week or am I doomed to a veggieless summer?? :( Please respond, asap thanks :D
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 02:53 PM

Where are you located in the world? I am still able to plant here with seeds and plants. You could start a couple new ones just to be on the safe side.

Watch them and don't over water, they might come back and start growing new green leaves.:)

What kind of plants are they?

Jun 9, 2010, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Where are you located in the world? I am still able to plant here with seeds and plants. You could start a couple new ones just to be on the safe side.

Watch them and don't over water, they might come back and start growing new green leaves.:)

What kind of plants are they?
    I'm in ND it was already a little late for planting when I started and the tomatoes and cabbage look the worst!!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 02:59 PM

What did you plant?

Everything has their own suggested planting method and usually a week to 10 days sprout.

Some obvious issues:
    too much water
    too little water
    not enough neutrients
    soil grading

That covers a lot. A lot can be said for watering. Letting the dirt dry out and watering again.

I planted, beans, peas, squash, cucumbers and peas from seed. All came up as expected.

Peppers and Tomatoes as small plants

All watered about 2x/day and doing fine. Manure was added to the soil.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 03:01 PM

Tomatoes are pretty quick if you buy a plant instead of seeds. I would try getting a six pack and plant those, just to be sure. You can't be without tomatoes:eek:

Your first frost would be around the end of September or October? You should be good until the first frost and them you can have jm's recipe for fried green tomatoes (which is to die for :D)

I'm sorry, I have no clue about your cabbage. I do know my lettuce likes cooler weather, so maybe your cabbage might be OK to start from seed? How hot does it get in SD in summer?

Cabbage is inexpensive to buy, but you can't get a good tomato from the store:)
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 04:18 AM

When we had our farm in northern Michigan we planted l/2 an acre in just about everything that could be canned, frozen, etc. To protect young plants I always covered them with the large milk jugs, cut out at the bottom and put over the plant; they were much like mini greenhouses, just until the plant got big enough to fend for itself, and just in case there was an flash frost.

I could only water once a day because the 20L pails were to heavy to carry twice a day and I always watered as the sun was going down when more moisture would be retained throughout the night. I never dressed with manure, but did work it in with the tractor for a couple of weeks before planting.

To keep weeds away from plants, I used either straw or newspaper.

Planting potatoes had to be my absolute favourite, as it was always a surprise digging down and finding some really big ones, or those little juicy sweet potatoes you just boiled and ate with butter salt and pepper.

Don't forget to tie up the leaves around cauliflower to keep them white while they mature, otherwise they are purple.

Nowadays I only bother with tomatoes, and then only six to have for the table, much to busy for canning, although I am getting that urge again, after giving away my canning jars and accessories.

Happy gardening !

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 08:07 AM

Don't forget to tie up the leaves around cauliflower to keep them white while they mature, otherwise they are purple.

So that's were purple cauliflower comes from:D
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
    Dont forget to tie up the leaves around cauliflower to keep them white while they mature, otherwise they are purple.

So that's were purple cauliflower comes from:D
    Well, yes, the taste is the same, but some people are turned off by veggies that don't fit the norm. I don't care if its purple, red, orange, or whatever, as long as it tastes the same and I can dress it up with some cheese sauce ! But that's the thing,eh, purple cauli looks horrible with orange cheese sauce :D

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 09:37 AM

I have some purple in my fridge, I bought it because I had never seen it before.
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 11:37 AM
    I have some purple in my fridge, I bought it because I had never seen it before.
    Well then you will just have to make basic white sauce with white cheese, then it will be almost colour coordinated!

The trend in purple caulis was started by organic farmers. I don't know why they think tying the leaves up is not organic, but whatever rattles your chain, right ?

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Organic Gardening [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to start an organic garden... but need some direction. Since we are beginners, would anyone recommend a book that is highly useful for this great hobby? Now we aren't trying to grow a farm... just something to feed the family. Thanks... ;)

Dying indoor plants! HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 ferns, 2 Philodendrons, and 2 ivy plants in my home. The only plants that are surviving are the 2 pots of Ivy. I can't seem to get the Philodendrons or the Ferns to stay healthy. I have moved them from direct sunlight to filtered. I pretty much have moved them all over my house. Any...

How much to charge for gardening? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to ask this for my younger sister who does excellent gardening and now has a few clients.. she says it is hard work and I must agree.. how much an hour should she charge for planting shrubs/flowers/and basic gardening? Thanks in advance

Why are parts of my tomatoe plants turning yellow and dying? [ 1 Answers ]

Why are parts of my tomatoe plants turning yellow and dying? There is still some healthy shoots with fruit on them. Lack of lime perhaps?

View more questions Search