Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigmann3104 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 09:01 AM
    replacing a 4 ton A-coil to a equivalent coil?
    I have a TRANE 4 TON unit heat pump system model #TWE048c140B3 and my A coil went out and is pretty rusted. I am looking to replace the A-coil with an equivalent A-coil to get me going again until I can change out the entire unit. I know that I don't have to go back with a TRANE A-COIL and that I can use any other coil as long as its is for a 4 Ton unit and that the demensions of the a-coil are the same. Does any one know what type and or which A-Coil that is out there I can use as a replacement for now?

I found an A-Coil that is an ASPEN CA48B3X230L000 / ACA48B3X230L000 4 TON UP/DOWN EVAPORATOR A COIL
    4 TON UNCASED, UP/DOWN FLOW, "A", SWEAT 3/8 X 7/8 CONNECTIONS, TXV, DIMENSIONS: 23"H X 22"W X 19"D,

Just wondering if any one that has the knowledge to provide this info to me!
    I'm looking to install a generic A-coil that will work and get me through the summer

Thanks Dennis
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2010, 09:10 AM

Just stop at some local hvac stores, I know I have 6 used a coils at the office. I am sure you can find one that can be used. If not go to a branch that sells ducane or philco probably going to be the cheepest of a new coil.

May 31, 2010, 09:18 AM

I was also told by 2 different AC guys and one of them said I had to go back with Train A-coil and the same size for it to work. And the other AC guy said I did not have to go back with the Train and that I could use any Generic A-coil 4 ton or a little larger regardless of the outside unit being a heat pump! If this is true than I want to go back with a Generic A-coil! I am looking to save money and just get me through another year! Can anyone tell me what the best A-coil would fit!

May 31, 2010, 09:22 AM

The problem I am having is the dimensions of the coil the one I pulled out is about 22 1/2" to 23" tall and 21 1/2" to 22" wide and 19 1/2" deep if you had any that would work would you want to sell one?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 31, 2010, 12:57 PM
    Plan for the future. You can use a new style coil with your older outside unit and if you make the correct selection when your old outside unit fails you will not have to replace the indoor coil again. The newer larger more efficient coils will work with your older unit. Just use an expansion valve as a metering device. If your old unit uses R-22 refrigerant just use a R-22 expansion valve. Down the road when it is time for a new outside unit it will be using the newer R-410A refrigerant so all you will have to do swap the R-22 expansion valve for a R-410A expansion valve and your system will be back up and running.

I see this happen so many times when someone replaces just the indoor coil with one that will work for the old coil then in short order the outside unit fails. It will take a bit more work to make the larger R-410A coil fit but this way you will only have to do the work one time. Good luck with your selection.

May 31, 2010, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Plan for the future. You can use a new style coil with your older outside unit and if you make the correct selection when your old outside unit fails you will not have to replace the indoor coil again. The newer larger more efficient coils will work with your older unit. just use an expansion valve as a metering device. If your old unit uses R-22 refrigerant just use a R-22 expansion valve. Down the road when it is time for a new outside unit it will be using the newer R-410A refrigerant so all you will have to do swap the R-22 expansion valve for a R-410A expansion valve and your system will be back up and running.

I see this happen so many times when someone replaces just the indoor coil with one that will work for the old coil then in short order the outside unit fails. It will take a bit more work to make the larger R-410A coil fit but this way you will only have to do the work one time. Good luck with your selection.

If I can plan for the future like that and I am running a 4 Ton unit now and later I want to install a 5 Ton unit Will I be able to install a 5 Ton A-coil to run with my 4 Ton Condenser unit outside right now and use it like that until I'm ready for my new 5 Ton outside unit?

Jun 1, 2010, 03:04 AM
    Yes you can use a larger 5 ton coil on a 4 ton outside unit with NO problem. Just remember to us a thermostatic expansion valve for the correct refrigerant. I also recommend to use the services of a professional for the brazing and charging of the unit unless you are qualified. Note: use a expansion valve sized for the outside unit and refrigerant type.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2010, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Yes you can use a larger 5 ton coil on a 4 ton outside unit with NO problem. Just remember to us a thermostatic expansion valve for the correct refrigerant. I also recommend to use the services of a professional for the brazing and charging of the unit unless you are qualified. Note: use a expansion valve sized for the outside unit and refrigerant type.
    I don't think this will work. I have seen it done and not with good results. A 5 ton 10 seer coil will work with a 4 ton 10 seer ac, but a 4 ton 10 seer ac will have a hard time working with a 5 ton 13 seer coil. It is like trying to run a 4 ton ac on a 6 ton coil. Too much coil not enough pump. If you do want to try this do not use a txv valve, the only way we have gotten them to work is by piston.

Jun 1, 2010, 09:45 AM

Ok I have a company that is selling Goodman split systems and they are selling them with the outside unit 4 ton and the inside unit a 5 ton and this is the way they are pairing most of them that are running on 410A is this to be correct because I don't want to buy something that isn't going to work. I just figured that if this company is selling these units and I mean they are selling any size you want but most of them are being paired with outside 4 ton and inside 5 ton!

Jun 1, 2010, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmann3104 View Post
    Ok I have a company that is selling Goodman split systems and they are selling them with the outside unit 4 ton and the inside unit a 5 ton and this is the way they are pairing most of them that are running on 410A is this to be correct because i dont want to buy somthing that isnt going to work. I just figured that if this company is selling these units and I mean they are selling any size you want but most of them are being paired with outside 4 ton and inside 5 ton!!
    It should work just fine with the proper install and startup. You can always ask them for a cross reference of the two models together to see if they meet specifications.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmann3104 View Post
    Ok I have a company that is selling Goodman split systems and they are selling them with the outside unit 4 ton and the inside unit a 5 ton and this is the way they are pairing most of them that are running on 410A is this to be correct because i dont want to buy somthing that isnt going to work. I just figured that if this company is selling these units and I mean they are selling any size you want but most of them are being paired with outside 4 ton and inside 5 ton!!
    As long as you are getting a new coil and ac they will work fine.

Jun 2, 2010, 09:43 AM

OK guys thanks for your help! I am not going to buy a new unit right now because I don't have the funds for it right now so what I am looking to do is just put a coil back in for now! So I guess Ill just look for an exact replacement coil! Does any one know where I could get an exact replacement coil or one that I can put in and get me going? I am ready to purchase from someone. If anyone has one or can get me one for a good price let me know Please!

Thanks Dennis

Jun 2, 2010, 07:57 PM

Sorry for all the questions guys and I don't mean to be a pain but I just had someone loan me some silver rods and torch to fix the leak in the coil so I decided to give it a try first. So far I found one leak and fixed. Now I was wondering how much air pressure do I need to apply to the coil to look for more leaks or to see if my leak I fixed is really fixed? As I know the coil has an operating pressur of 300 PSI but I didn't know if I needed that much to check for leaks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a 3 ton coil match up with a 2 ton condenser unit [ 19 Answers ]

I have a new Payne brand 2 ton central air unit that was installed by my home warranty company, and after two months and after they sent out three different companies to try and fix my cooling problem, the last company decided that the original Carrier brand system that has been in my home for 26...

Converting an R22 A-Coil To a Water to Air Coil? [ 8 Answers ]

Converting an R22 A-Coil To a Water to Air Coil A friend of mine has a water to water geothermal unit for heating his home. He wants to use this same unit for cooling the house. Looking at water to air coils the prices are quite steep compared to the standard run of the mill A-Coils. We are...

Replacing a coil vs replacing both the coil and AC unit [ 0 Answers ]

We live in NC and have an 8 yr old Trane 4 ton air conditioning unit that cools the second & third floor. It is not cooling properly due to a bad coil that is leaking (R22)coolant. There could have been strain to the unit over the course of a year (or a couple of years) due to a low coolant...

Does a 4 ton evaporator coil match up with a 3 ton condenser? [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into an 11 year old house last month. The AC has not worked properly since we moved in. The first AC guy the Homeowners Warranty company sent cleaned the unit and added freon. A month later, it was 83 degrees downstairs today. Last week they sent another guy and he found what he...

New Outside Condsing Unit, Bad indoor Coil - Go with Heat Pump or Buy New Coil? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, Here is my issue. Recently, our home warranty company paid to replace a 25 year old 7 SEER Borg Warner outside unit, but swore up and down that the indoor Borg Warner Coil would be OK with the new 10 SEER Carrier. We no longer have this home warranty company and they are not standing...

View more questions Search