Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 03:53 AM
    Move emails from Outlook Express folders to Gmail
    I'd like to move emails that I had previously saved (into folders) in Outlook Express - to Gmail.

I know I can forward them, but a) that is tedious, and b) all of those emails will have the date on them that I did the forward.

Is there a way to import all emails from a particular OE folder into Gmail?

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 04:06 AM
    Yes and no.
    Yes it is possible to "move" folders to gmail, but NOT with OE (as it's not very good).

Here's how you do it, I know just did it myself.

1/ get Thunderbird - Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox
    2/ install and import information from OE.
    3/ Make sure your gmail account is set up for IMAP as this keeps a copy of mails on BOTH your local machine and the server.
    4/ just drag and drop from you OE account to Gmail IMAP account.
    5/ Wait for them to sync up.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 04:46 AM

Steps 1-2 done.

I'm lost with step 3 but thinking I don't need it as the emails that I want to get from OE are 1) only on my computer (no longer on the server), and 2) from an email address that I have not used in years... so am I safe to skip step 3?
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 04:48 AM
    On step 3 it's the Gmail account that you are using for "storage" that needs to be IMAP, otherwise the rest won't work.
    You're basically copying the mails back to the server rather than a one way delivery (POP3)
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 04:48 AM

PS. Also, I don't use OE anymore and never will... so is that another reason that I don't need IMAP enabled?
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 04:49 AM

Oops, I was typing while you were... so I'll enable IMAP
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 04:51 AM
    Forgot to mention you MUST also enable IMAP on the target gmail account.

Settings
    Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
    IMAP Access: Enable

Also shows you how to set up thunderbird as well to accept IMAP mails.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 04:54 AM

AHA, I see that IMAP is already enabled in the gmail account I use... so off to step 4.

I feel like the fool to ask, but where do I "drop"? I presume that you mean open gmail and thunderbird at the same time - and drag emails from the thunderbird listing of emails that were imported... but to where do I "drop" them?
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 04:56 AM
    You do all of the drag/drop within Thunderbird and the IMAP deals with the syncing.

Works just like normal file manipulation within windows.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 05:01 AM

Oh. I [think I] see now. I'll do the IMAP w/tbird and see how things go from there... working...
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 05:05 AM
    It'll all go click in a bit ;)
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 05:08 AM

I have not dragged and dropped anything yet as Thunderbird is taking some time to synch up with my voluminous Gmail account.

In the meantime a question: Once I drag and drop everything I want from the old OE folders into gmail, then wait for that synch... I presume that I can just uninstall tbird and all will be good. Does that sound right?
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 05:10 AM
    Yes, but WHY would you want to do that..
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 05:18 AM

Because I'll never use Tbird or OE again. My only goal was to move old stuff from OE to Gmail.

Is there a good reason to keep Tbird?
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 05:19 AM
    Well if you are happy using webmail then go for it.
    All personal preferences really, BUT Tbird is very useful for managing multiple accounts in one client.
    Mines currently running 8 webmails.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 05:30 AM

Let me clarify:

1. I am happy with gmail. I use it to manage about 25 email addresses.

2. I do not want to store any emails on any of my computers (I have 5 of them at various locations).

3. I have the gmail settings such that no emails are ever left on any servers.

So in short, I rely completely on gmail.

Based on that, is there any reason you can think of for why I should keep Thunderbird?
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 07:48 AM
    Completely personal really.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks, Ben.
    I rely completely on Gmail (I know there may be arguments against it and I welcome them) so I'll do the transfers and then remove OE and TBird from my computer... unless I hear a good argument to do otherwise.
    BossMan

May 21, 2010, 10:54 AM
    It's really more a case of ease.
    As I said I use Tbird a lot for multiple accounts, but if you are happy using webmail then why change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve emails from gmail inbox which are deleted from outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

Hi This is rupesh could you help me to retrieve my emails from gmail inbox which I had previously downloaded but got deleted some how from outlook express I want to download the previous mails please help me out.. Thank you

Outlook express offline folders [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to create outlook express offline folders? I've created regular folders on my XP machine and saved some there, but if they have the same subject line, but different dates, one overwrites the other. Thank you.

Tryint to export Outlook emails and folders to new computer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've just bought a new computer and am looking to transfer my Outlook emails to it from my old computer. I have followed the advice here: How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002 Under the 'How to make a backup copy of a .pst file'

Transfer Local Folders (Outlook Express 6) from old computer to new one? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm buying a new computer next week. I use Outlook Express 6.0 as my primary email and I was wondering if there was a way to transfer my Local Folders to the new machine. I segregate all my retained mail to specific folders and hope I don't end up having to print hard copy of messages I want to...

Outlook Express Folders Backup [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have created many folder and 'message rules' to automatically sort my incoming mail. Since it took me many hours to do this I would like to know if its possible to back all this configuration up? Cheers, Navarre

View more questions Search