Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vinitvin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 11:17 PM
    Cant play avi files?
    Recently I downloaded some new movies.it is in .avi format. I am not able to view these as it says open in windows media player.I tried in all codecs but still the same message.tried in windows media player too but all in vain.. help
    jeroen Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Aug 17, 2010, 08:46 AM

There are 2 options in this case

1. download divx
    2. download a converter

Hope I helped :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 08:58 AM
    Use VLC player: VideoLAN - VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

Aug 17, 2010, 09:15 AM

I would use the converter
    It's easy

Just convert it to the format you need
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 09:17 AM
    With VLC you just play the file, what could be easier?
    Any conversion takes time and degrades the video.

Aug 18, 2010, 01:39 AM

Lol,This isn't a competition.
    A new media player changes files and stuff.
    A converter is just for 1 file.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 01:27 PM

The technical, plain english answer:

Avi files aren't normally supported by windows media player.

This leaves you with two options:

1) Codecs

2) Players

There are a number of players, both free and paid. VLC is probably the best of the bunch and it is free. It can be installed to support almost all known media formats. The only issue you may encounter is trouble with subtitles.

If you go to the DivX website, you will see that they (the developers of the avi format) have their own player available. It works fine, however it isn't as stable as VLC.

You can install codecs. These can be paid for, but there are a few free ones. If you install the k-lite codec pack, it will make almost all known media formats playable through WMP. This includes stuff that you only thought worked in programs like itunes, quicktime, and real player. This reduces the amount of software you install on your computer. I wouldn't say it is as stable as VLC, however it is more than suitable. If you want, you can just install the DivX codec from their site, rather than installing the mass provided through klite.

There is the option of converting, but there are thousands of programs to choose from in that area. Plus you have to deal with possible quality loss and corruption. Even when you know exactly what you are doing, converting a 2 hour movie will take a minimum of 30 minutes, some actually take longer than the film itself.

If you need links, or want to know more about what you can do, just ask.
    jeffcard Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2010, 07:59 PM

You may take a look at this step by step guide, it will teach you how to fix the AVI video playback problem, it's easy to understand and works pretty well for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joining avi files [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have an avi files that has been split. I would like to join it but so far no software I have tried manage to join it. The files have the extension avi.0, avi.1, avi.2 and so on. Please help.

Can't play avi file properly [ 5 Answers ]

Always meet this problem. Got audio but no video, any brother can help me. Thank you so much!

Can't view .avi files [ 14 Answers ]

I really need help. I am an anime fan and I can't view .avi files. I have downloaded every codec known to man but all in vain. I have tried K-lite codec pack which appers to be quite comprehensive but still nothing, I tried avi codec from free-codecs... nothing, I even tried the cccp codec which...

Unable to play avi files [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am posting for a friend From what she told she's experiencing a problem with avi files. She can't get them to play neither in Ares nor in Windows Media player. So I told that it might not be a problem of the two programs listed above but a problem in the settings. Please help me to help...

Avi files but G spot sats not valid avi [ 2 Answers ]

Hi that's pretty much it ? In G spot is says invalid and will not render But it is an AVI file ? Any ideas Appreciated

View more questions Search