Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jblackz69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 08:22 PM
    Remove black tile adhesive before ceramic tile
    I'm planning on installing new ceramic tile on the slab floor in my dining room. After removing a couple of layers of carpet and disintegrated padding, the only thing left is a thin coating of black tile adhesive from a previous tile job. (I'm taking into account the possibility of the presence of asbestos.) This stuff appears to be petroleum based.
    Do I have to scrape this adhesive up before mortaring in my new tile? If so, what should I be using to ensure the concrete is clean enough to get the new tile to adhere?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 12:35 AM

The black adhesive is probably an emulsion adhesive which is petroleum based.

Would not try to remove, very sloppy and it is a penetrating adhesive.

Scrape off loose adhesive and u should be good to go. Use thin set to set ceramic tile.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Adhesive? New ceramic tile install - one inch hex shape sheets [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am putting in a brand new full bath where there had been just a half bath.. I am done the roughing in and the framing, cementboard, sheetrock, etc. - and I have a question about the tile installation. For the floor, I chose an older style of tile that is the white octagon/hexagon...

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Secure 2x4 frame to ceramic tile floor with adhesive (no nails) [ 3 Answers ]

I want to frame up a small reach-in closet in my bathroom (2x4's, drywall), but I have an obstacle: My ceramic tile floor covers cement board and a sub-floor with radiant heat/water-filled PEX. The 5 foot length of closet will span one wall, with short sides. The back of this closet will be...

How do you remove ceramic fireplace tile front? [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of restoring a circ 1890 Victorian house; today’s subject is CERAMIC FIREPLACE FRONTS. The tiles used are Trent, about 3” long by 1.5” wide. There are a few missing but we have a plan that we can live with. The wall, that the tile is mounted on, has deteriorated and many...

View more questions Search