Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused111 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 04:13 PM
    He says he'll call but why hasn't he called?
    I went out on a 1st date for a drink with a guy that I met online. I think the date went well for both of us. When we parted ways, he said "We should do this again sometime" and I said "yeah". Then we hugged each other good-bye. 2 days later, I texted him to say "I had a great time with you the other day, I would like to get to know you better, enjoy your trip out east (he is travelling for the weekend) and I'm looking forward to seeing you again." 5 minutes later, he texted me back to say "I'm looking forward to spending more time with you as well. I've enjoyed getting to know you. Try and pencil me in somewhere in your day time when I get back :-)." I replied and said "I think I'd like that. Let me know when you are back :)". He replied and said "I'll be back Sunday evening. So maybe early next week sometime. I'll give u a call." I replied and ended it with "ok have fun!".

Today is now Wednesday (he came back Sunday night) and I haven't heard from him. My QUESTIONS are: 1) What does he mean by all that he said to me about spending time, etc. 2) Is he going to call? And lastly 3) What should I do at the moment?

Your comments/opinions are much appreciated! :)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 04:40 PM

You should not get your hopes up based on one date with someone you just met. If he doesn't call, who cares? Big loss. If he does, cool. Maybe he's really busy. Maybe he has a good reason.
    alesha8781 Posts: 22, Reputation: 9

Apr 28, 2010, 04:46 PM

I would assume if he didn't want to see you again he would have just ignored your texts. Since he actually told you when he would be back and he wanted to see you, he probably does. Men usually don't ask you to pencil them into your schedule if they don't mean it. Does he have a job? He may be catching up something at the office. Possibly there was a family emergency. He wouldn't feel obligated to tell you since you only went on one date. I would give it until Saturday or Sunday and send another text. "Hey, hope your trip went well. Want to tell me all about it at dinner tomorrow?" Asking a direct question like that will most likely get you a direct answer. I wouldn't ask him why he didn't call you yet because it might seem to him like you are nagging (men have such a funny way of viewing things we ask) If he answers you then great! Enjoy your date!! If you don't get a reply within 24 hours after that, I think I would cast my line back into that proverbial pool of fish.

Hope I was of some help to you, let us know what happens. And please, be careful meeting people online.

Apr 28, 2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions alesha!
    Would love to hear more opinions :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 11:38 PM

Well obviously you broke up with the last guy, so you haven't been single that long, so maybe your moving to fast, and expecting too much, and need some YOU time before you get back into dating, because you certainly seem to be getting all worked up after ONE date.

Be cool, and relax, and get something fun to do, and if he is to busy to call/text, his loss. But don't call him again. You met him, you will meet another. But be single for a while, and learn how to enjoy being by yourself for a change.

You don't trip off a stranger that you met online, especially a busy one.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 06:25 AM

You've only been on one date and you've already thanked him for it.

Just stay calm and wait on him to contact you. He told you he'd call you, so the balls totally in him court.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 06:58 AM
    HTML Code:
    Today is now Wednesday (he came back Sunday night) and I haven't heard from him. My QUESTIONS are: 1) What does he mean by all that he said to me about spending time, etc.? 2) Is he going to call? and lastly 3) What should I do at the moment
    To answer your questions:

1. Nobody knows but the person who said the words. He might be thinking, nice girl, but I'll go with door #2.

2. Give it a few more days, and don't look like you are pushy or needy by contacting him.

3. Accept that he may or may not call. Expect the best, but be prepared for the worst.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 07:35 AM

Could he have more online dates lined up? I surely would. Maybe so should you. Then you wouldn't care if he called or not, so wouldn't be disappointed if he doesn't.

Apr 29, 2010, 06:55 PM

Wow! Thanks for the advise :) I'm just really confused by his words and his actions (or lack of)...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused111 View Post
    wow! thanks for the advise :) I'm just really confused by his words and his actions (or lack of)...
    Guys can get really "busy" doing whatever guys do. So -- you get busy too. Read a book, watch The Office or American Idol on TV, work on a jigsaw puzzle, start volunteering at an animal shelter. That way, if he calls you, you'll have something interesting to talk about. If he doesn't call you, someone else will, and you will have something interesting to talk about. The main thing is you and taking care of yourself and being happy with who you are.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 09:48 PM
    I hate to rain on your parade, but my husband did the on-line dating thing before I met him. At one count he was going through a list of 8 women in the space of about a fortnight.

I think that you should be realistic. You don't know this guy. Guys sometimes say things they don't mean - not because they want to be dishonest, but because they want to be nice and let you down kindly, or because it's the easiest thing to say.

Accept that he might not call. He may well be otherwise occupied. Given my husband's experience you would be astonished at what some women do on the first date!

Perhaps you need to be seeing a few more guys as well? But, as alesha said, take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm afraid he'll think I'm fat. [ 2 Answers ]

I have been talking with this guy and we really like each other. We've met once before and went on a date. He then walked me to my door that evening and kissed me on the cheek. We've been talking on the phone every day for a week now and will be seeing each other again in a few days. He thinks I'm...

My Ex-called me back and now she won't pick my call [ 3 Answers ]

So I dated this girl that worked at my office for 3 months and everything seemed great. But then she broke up one day saying that she feels too much pressure with all the romance and that her life is too busy and she doesn't feel that this is the right thing in her life now. Of course I was...

I think he'll break up with me, how to move on? [ 8 Answers ]

Well, in short we've been together for a year and 9 months (it'd be 10 months on Friday). This guy is my first boyfriend. But we've had problems. Basically, I lied about my past because I knew how he'd react. I came clean and he reacted just like I expected and worse. He started name calling me,...

Do you think he'll come back? [ 6 Answers ]

I met my ex at work in 2004. He had started exactly a week before me. I thought he was cute, but someone had told me he had been engaged for like a month or so. I thought to myself 'oh darn' I had no motive to go and bust them up. Him and I talked at work and eventually through emails and...

Should I move out so he'll believe me? PLEASE HELP! [ 6 Answers ]

Should I move out? My Problem is this: When I was in primary school I fell in love with a boy called Skye But then when it came too high school, he got sent to a private all boy's school far away and I got sent to the local comprehensive. I thought I'd NEVER see him EVER again and...

View more questions Search