Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagleseye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 09:57 PM
    Hotwater heater wiring problem
    Hi... My dad just replaced their 1970's hot-water heater with a brand new one. He used the same wire as the old water heater, he added a 30 amp double pull breaker at the breaker box, however it throws the breaker, unless he un-hooks the ground wire?

There are 3 colors of wire on the "original" hot-water heater wire he is using: Black, Red and White..?

Can you please help?

Warmest Regards, Sheila
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 04:36 AM
    How did he connect the wires at the breaker? If he connected the red and black to each hot leg, and the white to ground, it should work to connect them the same way at the heater. Normally you run 10-2 with ground and use black and white as hots and the bare wire as ground. Oh, by the way, the new 30 amp breaker requires the wire to #10.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 05:15 AM
    There obviously a short that is still active when the ground is disconnected.

This heater should NOT be turned on until the short is cleared, as there may be voltage on the case of the heater that can injure someone if they touch the case.

Need to understand the purpose of the white wire and how is was connected at the old water heater.

If the old heater was a simple standard 240 volt single phase heater,the white should have been used as a ground wire, labeled green, and connected to the metal case on a green screw.

The black and red should have tbeen the two 240 volt hot wires.

If this is the case, then the problem can be as simple as a wire shorted out in the heater junction box, perhaps it is nicked by sharp metal edges and grounding out.

There may be a defective heating element or thermostat, or a miswire in the new heater.

Again, be sure this heater is shut down until the problem is cleared.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard heater wiring circuit [ 6 Answers ]

I just finished intaling a baseboard heater and I have a question that has been nagging me. The heater is on 240 circuit. So, I ran 12/2 and used the black and white to run my two hot wires as is common practice. Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but this got me wondering. I have...

Hotwater heater [ 3 Answers ]

Hot water heater want ignite. What could be the problem? Pilot light is on but no ignition.

Hotwater heater HELP! Fast please [ 2 Answers ]

We have well water, today we lost all the pressure and we got no water. We would just turn the handle on in the kitchen or bathroom and nothing would happen. Well he wife had her dad come over to fix it, I don't know what he did but after he left we had water. Now, later on in the night I get ready...

Hotwater heater [ 2 Answers ]

Water comes out of my over flow copper tube. What do I need to do to fix it?

Wiring Electrical Baseboard Heater [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A Few Concerns Wiring A New Electrical Baseboard Heater.the Heater Is A Marley 22ov,2000w,9 Amp Hydronic Heater.wall Mounted Thermostat Is A Fahrenheit Md26 Double Line Break.I Am A Little Confused As To What Type Of Breaker I Need To Install.I Have A Cutler Hammer Subpanel.do I Need A...

View more questions Search