Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kamygould Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 08:48 AM
    How long to wait to meet the adult children of my boyfreind of 10 months?
    My BF and I have been together 10 months, his children are 23/ 25 respectively, both girls, He told them in Dec. we were going on vacation together, and his one dtr put restrictions on some local establishments we can not go to because she doesn't want to "run into us". They never discuss me, he doesn't broach the subject either. I feel like I am not important to him in this area because he doesn't validate our relationship with them. He often talks to me about them and what is going on in their lives, but he doesn't get to share any of our actiivties with them. Now one dtr is pregnant and I will have to listen to the journey but not be a part of it. I am feeling frustrated by this but I realize it is a sensitve issue. The ex is very close to the girls, and I don't think is moving on. She still lives in the shared house as does the youngest dtr, until it sells( has been on the market for a yr). Do I share my frustration with him? He doesn't want any conflict with the ex or dtrs.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 10:21 AM

How long had he been single when you met?
    Are you sure he has healed from his divorce?

As for your concerns,you should talk to him about how you feel,no point brushing things under the carpet.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 10:28 AM

What does his ex have anything to do with it? His daughters are adults now, he doesn't have to run it by their mother.

I would go with amicon's advice, and that is to talk to your boyfriend about this. Don't be confrontational, that gets you nowhere.

Good luck!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 15, 2010, 11:06 AM

It's very possible that they just don't want to meet you. I'm not trying to be harsh, but it's true.

I'm guessing their parents were married for most of their lives. Even if he's been divorced for 5/+ years, it's still new to them. They already have a mom, and don't want a step-mom. If you're the first person he'd had a serious relationship with since the divorce, it'll be even harder for them to accept.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 06:26 PM

I think 10 months is way to soon to be sharing his personal life so close. I think you tell him to chill on that, and you stop expecting it to happen at this time.

Now later after things are a lot more serious, and stable it might be different, but not now. He ain't ready, nor are his daughters.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 07:50 PM

He is making choices as to who and what is more important to him.

And did you say, that he and his ex still live in a "shared house" with his adult daughter?
    kamygould Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 11:31 AM

I guess I need to clarify, his ex and one dtr live in the house they still mutually own, and is up for sale, He has been in an apt for 2 years. Lots of great advise and I agree with all of it! Thanks!

Update, he brought it up that he thought it was time to broach the subject. I told him that he needed a reason too, not to just do it. I still don't think the dtrs are receptive so why push it! Thanks for all the great advise!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 20, 2010, 11:38 AM

So the divorce is only a couple years old? No WONDER they don't want to meet you. As far as his daughters are concerned, he's moving on too fast and you're the strumpet that stole their dad.

Give them time, and leave the timeline up wi them. If you try to force yourself into their lives, then they'll never like you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult children [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter has been seeing a man for several years now. She has broken up with him twice. The last time was in March 07. They were together for a month and in that month she lost her job bought two cars in her name and was harassed with broken windshields and phone calls by not only him but his...

Ex-boyfreind wanted to meet [ 7 Answers ]

two weeks ago my ex emailed me wanting to get our dogs together; we raised his together. We dated for one year and held on for another and I broke it off completely in Jan. we have emailed a few times, like once, back in Feb, until two weeks ago when he contacted me. So last week we meet at a...

How do I get my adult child meet someone? [ 10 Answers ]

My son is 25 lives at home and has no life. He has a job as a computer admin and is going to school part time. He hardly ever goes out at night and sits in his room playing video games until 2:00 AM sometimes. He's a good kid, polite with a good sense of humor. Is there a forum, or group for...

Hello I'm new and can't wait to meet everyone [ 6 Answers ]

Hello~ I'm Deanna from Texas Woo hoo, I have some Questions about being sued. I have been served papers stating I have 20 days from the date on the next Monday.. Ok? The date I was served was Feb 18, it says I need to do admissons, so that is what I am working on.. If someone knows or can point me...

Is 9 months too long to wait to have sex. [ 2 Answers ]

First of all this relationship is over and done with, but I always wondered if I waited too long to have sex with my ex. This relationship never progressed into sex it is not because we both didn't want it really bad... I just didn't want to rush into it. He was so understanding. And he is still to...

View more questions Search