Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rckdinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 01:37 PM
    Replace old pipe system for tub shower combo with pipe system for shower only.
    My home was build in 1967. I am replace my old tub shower combo with a walk-in shower, building shower pan from scratch. My question is the pipe system in the wall. I have it exposed. It is a single handle control, pipe down from there to old bath faucet and a pipe up from the single handle control to the shower head. How do I reconfigure this set up for a shower only. I would like to put in a scald control also.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 9, 2010, 03:08 PM

If you are planning to reuse the old faucet, just cap or plug the pipe that went to the old tub spout. However, if you want a tempering valve(scald control), you will need to replace the whole fuacet with one that has posi-temp or similar function built in. When you repipe the new valve, you can either purchase a shower only valve, or plug the bottom side of a tub shower valve. If you are also tiling the walls of the new shower, make sure to rough in the new valve at the correct depth coming out the wall(always figure rough in to finished wall). Also Make sure to put the shower head high enough so you aren't ducking under it. Good luck and let us know how the project goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain pipe dripping sound after shower [ 6 Answers ]

After I use 2nd floor bath tub(shower pan), I hear a dripping sound inside the wall. The sound lasts long when the shower is taken long and it lasts short when the shower is short. Luckly (^^) I have not found any water mark on the kichen ceiling which is directly below the upstair bathroom and on...

Smelly shower drain pipe with standing water in pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I smelled an foul odor in my shower drain. I also can see standing water in the shower pipe. Help! Thank you

Galvanized pipe replace shower& tub valves, adobe house with lathe and plaster walls [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old adobe house, (forty years old), with lathe and plaster and adobe walls. I have galvanized pipes and need to replace the valves in the showers and tub. The stems are not available, (obsolete), what to do? I hired a plumber he ordered the parts then late last night said I should find...

Bath tub drain pipe dripping sound after shower [ 6 Answers ]

After I use 2nd floor bath tub(shower pan), I hear a dripping sound inside the wall. The sound lasts long when the shower is taken long and it lasts short when the shower is short. Luckly (^^) I have not found any water mark on the kichen ceiling which is directly below the upstair bathroom and on...

Tub to Shower 1.5" pipe to 2"pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Shower uses a 2" pipe. Tub used a 1.5 inch pipe. Bought a 2"pipe coupler... using the coupler to attach the new 2" pipe to the old 1.5 inch joint on the 3" main house drain pipe. The coupler has too much play on the 1.5 inch side... almost like it's an 1/8th of a inch smaller than 1.5. What's...

View more questions Search