Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovesunending Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 07:52 PM
    I moved out of my apartment back in December. I didn't do well in school, had no job,
    I moved out of my apartment back in December. I didn't do well in school, had no job, and consquently my parents told me to move back home. I told my roommate I would not be returning the next semester. I then paid rent for January because I did move out so suddenly. I then sent her 48 dollars to get her internet and cable turned back on.in February I told her I couldn't help with rent because I did not make enough. She messaged me about three to four weeks ago to tell me she filed for eviction and wants me to pay 1100 dollars. I was not on the lease and we have no documentation saying I was even in the apartment. Her boyfriend also messaged me saying that it's my fault she was evicted. I don't know what to do and she is threatening legal action.. please help
    the_original Posts: 177, Reputation: 51

Mar 31, 2010, 09:13 PM

This is the wrong forum I think... though I have been wrong before. It's hard to say what to do though, if you feel she has a real case and you do owe her that money you have to get a job, even a crappy one, and pay her. Something like this could stain your record if you wanted to rent/own anything again
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 11:04 AM

You have a moral obligation to pay her what you owe her, even though there was no record. A verbal contract between you, if that's the case, is binding in small claims court.

Not having the money, is not a legal defense for not paying.

The only question was your leaving the cause of her eviction, and that's for a judge to decide.

I suggest you resolve this, as the consequences will not only hurt your wallet, and credit, but keep you from getting a place to stay in the future, if you do get your act together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moved in December, am I part time resident [ 1 Answers ]

I got married and moved to Iowa, I didn't get Iowa drivers license till December because you have to live in Iowa a month to establish residency or have a job in Iowa which I did not. I worked and lived in Illinois from January 2008 through October 2008, then I didn't get a job in Iowa till January...

Losing job, Changing Careers, going back to school, cashing 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Due to corporate downsizing, I will likely not have a job much past the first of the year and I don't expect any severence out of the deal either. I have been an exemplary employee for 7 years, but I know when the game is over. So, because of a large and cumbersome non-compete contract I...

December: Job, baby. All or nothing? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Lets see if somebody can give me a hand with a couple of things or at least listen to me. Like the past 3 years, as the end of the year approaches my humor start to change, that is because every December I have to renew my contract at my job. Every year I’m hoping to keep my job and I never...

View more questions Search