Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deadbeat Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Worry & Debt
    I really don't know what to do. I got sick one year ago. I have a small monthly disability check, under $1,000.00. I developed an electrical problem in my heart and now I have a defibrillator in my chest and I cannot work. I owe a total of 15,000 divided among 10 or so creditors. They are all credit card debts. I never missed a payment until I reached a point in early summer where I really could no longer pay. I need to keep my lights on and my kids in school.

I have 23,000 in a 401K that I cannot touch unless I quit my job. I am currently on long term disability, filing for social security disability but have not severed my employment.

I don't sleep at night because of my health worries and my debt worries.

I am married but my husband is retired and lives on a pension and without my income, we live from check and there is no extra money.

I am signing my name deadbeat and it feels like crap.

DB
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 12:17 AM
    So this defibrillator in your chest prevents you from working at all? Not even part time? Who then takes care of the kids?

Perhaps your husband might consider re-entering the workforce until you get better?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Ok, so you can't pay your bills, I could preach all day about not making the bills in the first place, but that is too late.

So you don't pay them, you are not working, they can't do anything, they could attach your bank accounts, so you don't keep a bank account in your name.

You can of course file bankrupcty on these also.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2006, 09:57 AM
    First you don't want to touch that 401K money. First, there will be penalities for early withdrawal and second, where it is keeps it protected from the creditors.

Second, I know it feels bad to not be able to pay your bills, but you have to remember its not your fault that you developed the health problems.

So what I suggest is you speck to a debt counselor, who can negotiate with your creditors to reduce the amount you owe or at least reduce your monthly payments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt & a 3rd party collector [ 3 Answers ]

To be honest my credit card debt to American Express has gotten up to about $12,000 because of all the interest. It has been sent to GC Services, a third party collector. I am in school and will be done for the summer in about a month and will be working full-time then but am only working...

Marriage & Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I'm getting married in 6 months, however I just found out that my future husband has some debt occurring with some investment properties. There could be a possible foreclosure. Could this effect me once were married even if this happened before we got married. Lets just say that I get a house in my...

Debt Equity & Cost of Capital [ 1 Answers ]

McCoy, Inc. has equity with a market value of $40 million and debt with a market value of $20 million. The cost of the debt is 6 percent semi-annually. Treasury bills that mature in one year yield 5 percent per annum, and the expected return on the market portfolio over the ...

Bankruptcy & Debt [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations on debt? Can a creditor ask for repayment on something from 1992?

Bankruptcy, 401K & a lot of debt [ 6 Answers ]

I am sick at my stomach as I type this, and don't have anyone else that I can talk to about this. Here's the situation: My husband and I filed bankruptcy and it was done on 1/1/02- only 3 1/2 years ago. We have been building our credit back again,and over the course of time, now find ourselves...

View more questions Search